Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Sunflower Seed Nachos

 I hate to break the Christmas candy streak, but the extent of my candy-making these days is opening the bag of Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Squares.

But I did do something creative. 

And I have a cute cat and puppy photo to share. Peace reigns - temporarily.


Poor Fenway. My daughter sent a matching sweater for him, but she kind of misjudged the size.



Back to the creative cooking.

I can't remember exactly where I saw the idea for this, but someone had posted a link to one of those prepared meal services that had plant-based meals. They had a recipe that used some kind of sunflower seed puree to make tacos. How's that for vague?

Well, I didn't have the fancy sunflower puree, but I had tomato sauce and lots of sunflower seeds. 

Actually, what I had was some leftover sauce that had ricotta cheese swirled into it. I reheated it and added a pile of sunflower seeds. Then I ladled that over a pile of blue corn chips and melted some cheddar cheese on top.

It was the perfect Saturday lunch.





I enjoyed the combination of sunflower seeds and sauce so much, that I mixed some kale in and served it over pasta. This time I used mozzarella melted on top.



The sunflower seeds gave it kind of a meaty texture. They didn't have their crunch because of being mixed in the sauce, but they were a nice addition. And of course cheese makes everything good!  

I'll definitely do this again.


What do you think?





5 comments:

  1. You are insanely innovative. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops... and I'm laughing at Fenway's sweater... and the littles. So cute and funny!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ruthy! You are definitely a creative cook!

    I love sunflower seeds (which makes living in South Dakota a bonus!) but never considered using them other than a snack or a salad topping. I may try this someday...

    And the sweaters are a hoot! But poor Fenway. Too small is too small. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea, Mary Cate!! I think I might like this. I love sunflower seeds, and can see how they'd add texture that could feel like meat.

    I'm with Jan. I love them on salads!

    Cute sweaters! But poor Fenway. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am naming you the leftovers queen! It feels like you are always finding ways to repurpose leftovers and not left anything go to waste. Love it!

    Oh Fenway it's ok. Still looks cute!

    ReplyDelete