Thursday, December 10, 2020

A Kid-Filled Christmas

 Good morning, all o' youse! 

Or, as Missy would say "all y'all"!!!!!


Lena and Jeter: SNUGGLE TIME!
Lena and Jeter, snuggle time!

It's no secret that my life tends to revolve around kids. A whole bunch of kids. A riotous bunch of the little darlings and it's also probably no surprise that I was voted most likely to be a kindergarten teacher in my senior year in high school... 

WHICH DID NOT HAPPEN OFFICIALLY!!!!

I got married at 19 and we had six kids in twelve years, so it was very preschool friendly. Eventually, once my kids were older, I left my job as a teacher's aide and opened an in home daycare with amazing families... and wrote in the middle of the night.

I was so blessed! Sprinkles, glitter and glue, oh my! :)

So being a grandmother, making messes, cleaning up messes comes naturally.  We can't do our traditional "Make a Memory Day" because of the virus, so instead of having all the families here at once, we're dividing and conquering. It means Grammy travels a bit, but Have Grammy, Will Travel!

Last Sunday we did Gingerbread House Day.... I put the houses together early in the day so the kids didn't get frustrated with waiting for royal icing to dry... So they gathered for the fun!

I bought some forms and then built others from graham crackers.  Here's the royal icing:

3 egg whites

4 cups confectioners/powdered sugar

Beat the eggs until frothy, then add sugar one cup at a time. Beat until mixed. When all sugar is mixed in, beat at high speed until frosting is thick and glossy and holds it's shape. If you need to thin it, add bits of water carefully.


GRAHAM CRACKER HOUSES!  These are fun and reasonably priced. You can make six from one box of graham crackers, so six houses for around $2.50.... I did them in various sizes and roof pitches so they wouldn't all look the same, but they came out so cute! 



I cut the triangle ends from a square part of the cracker.  I used the pizza cutter for separating crackers on the line and a sharp knife for cutting the triangles.  I made the square into an isosceles triangles by cutting from the center point of the top of the cracker, diagonally down to each corner. That left two right angle triangles, perfect for eating! :)



To make it easy for the kids to decorate, I glued the houses to the Christmas plates with a bead of frosting shaped like the bottom of their particular house.


Mary Ruth.... diving in before everyone else got here, a quiet moment. Also a rarity!


The troops have arrived....

Mary Ruth also opened the candy and put it out in pretty bowls so the kids wouldn't have to stick their grimy little hands into the bags. WIN!!!!


And here are four of the finished works of art!!!!!



So just in case you think I'm like Joe Expert at everything.... Here's a shot of my Thanksgiving turkey.

Yep.  That's the bottom....  The top/breast is on the platter.

OH MY STARS, I've rarely gotten a turkey just right so now it's just a family joke.

Yep.

#PINTERESTFAIL

Random box of books? No... We did a massive giveaway over the weekend. So many people are shut in nursing homes, care facilities, apartments for seniors, senior complexes, etc. and some of the folks are afraid to go out because of Covid. Some are afraid to keep living... so with Beth Jamison's help we boxed up a gazillion books (61 books in and there were some serious promo copies upstairs, even with all the promos I do for my books. Crazy and crazy fun! 

We had folks drive in... we loaded boxes into their cars... and they drove off.

Contactless act of kindness! 

It was so nice to see folks' reactions. We made sure that each box had some Love Inspireds, some indies and some of my trade paperbacks (Wishing Bridge, Double S Ranch, etc.) and I think folks were thrilled. And that made us happy because giving is always the best way to get happy, isn't it?



Now we're moving full speed ahead with a very different holiday profile... no big Herne party, no large group on Christmas Eve.... And it's not that I'm worried about myself. I'm in great health and fairly solid shape, but what if we unwittingly pass this on to one of the older family members who isn't in that kind of shape or circumstance?

I don't know if I could really forgive myself.

Out in the open, all fall, we had a gazillion people here, but that was outside and over several acres.

Inside in the winter is a germ spreader in WNY. 

So we're being cautious because we need to be. 

Although there's the stubborn Irish side of me that wants to shrug off the virus and do things my way.... but with an average of 600 positives/day, we have to be prudent.

Which means more chocolate for me and my pants are already too tight. YIKES!!!! :)


We'll get by... all of us. We always do. With His help and a dose of patience.



Multi-published, bestselling inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne is living her dream of being a published author... with over 60 published novels and novellas, Ruthy sneaks around the house in the dead of night, writing sweet heartwarming stories on the Q.T. because her family is noisy and somewhat intrusive.... but they're hers, so what's she gonna do? :) Friend Ruthy on Facebook, email her at loganherne@gmail.com or stop by her website ruthloganherne.com... she'd love to meet you! 

4 comments:

  1. I love the gingerbread houses! What a great idea to build them ahead of time so that the munchkins can dive right into the fun!

    I'm filing that idea away for "someday." :-)

    You also have me thinking about the boxes of books in our store room. I don't have as many titles as you do, but I have a bunch of books! I should contact senior living places in town and see if they'd like for me to drop off a box of books (we live WAY too far out to expect someone to come here to pick them up.)

    Thanks for all the food for thought, Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the idea of putting the houses together was because I didn't do that two years ago and it took forever to get things ready... and it was a lot of kids! We had an ornament project going on, so that helped, but they were twiddling their thumbs waiting for the houses to dry so this was born of experience! And they had so much fun!!!!

      And the books are a blessing both ways. I generally can send out 30+ initially and then a bunch more via blogs and facebook, but then I was getting three boxes and they started doing 2-in-1s and I was getting those so this is a Covid positive.... sharing with so many. One family shipped the boxes to a retirement community in Florida! So sweet!!!!

      Delete
  2. The gingerbread houses are delightful. And I love your idea of 'gluing' the houses to a decorative plate. I must remember that. This year we are on our own (both because of the pandemic but also because our one son and his family who had lived in our area for five-plus years, moved away last summer), and the gingerbread decorating contest that used to be a team effort involving various families, went by the wayside this year. I miss the fun ... and all the extra candy! LOL. Maybe next year.

    You really took the season's emphasis on giving to heart, and I can imagine the recipients are loving your generosity. Such a wonderful and generous idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you so much for your kind words! It just seemed that if there was something we could do, we should do it. :)

      And a customer said to me "Oh, Mary was so happy to get the books you sent her. She said it made such a difference." (I had sent a couple of books to a friend of hers...) So we thought, wait: What if we sent boxes of books to shut ins because there are so many of them????

      Beth's idea.... and so we ran with it. She made memes and we packed books and it was a great drive-through experience, Carol! And it put the books into hands, the best place for them.

      I'm pretty sure the Holy Spirit was guiding us on that one. He's so cool!

      Delete