Thursday, December 17, 2020

Chocolate Cream Pie: A Herne Family Favorite!

 Yes, I'm repeating this because it's not only a family favorite, it's one of my favorite pies. 

You need one 9" pie shell baked or cookie... your choice! 


Dark Chocolate Pudding

3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
dash salt
1/3 cup corn starch
3 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla

In 3 quart saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add to butter. Mix with spoon.

Whisk in milk and eggs.

Return to heat, medium heat, stir or whisk until boiling. Boil and stir about one minute. Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla. Chill Completely.




If you like the skin on pudding, don't cover it. But if you don't like the skin, take a piece of plastic wrap and place it right on top of the pudding while it's hot. The plastic wrap will keep the "fat" from rising and forming the skin, and you'll have skinless pudding when it's chilled!  Fill pie shell with the pudding.... and then if you want to top the whole thing with homemade Whipped Cream, here you go!

Whipped Cream:


2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar.

Whip at high speed until stiff.


I love it!  The homemade custard and then topped with whipped cream (homemade or from a can or if you love Cool Whip-type toppings, go for it!

I raised my children on Dream Pie.

You know the one. Or if you don't, I'll tell you. You take a mystery box of Dream Whip, whip it with cold milk (not fresh from the cow, raw milk won't work, and I'm not sure what that says about the chemicals in Dream Whip!) until it's stiff then add in a couple of boxes of dark chocolate pudding, 3 1/2 cups of milk and beat until thick.... And then pile into a prepared pie shell. Chill.

I loved the commercials for Dream Pies... and the magazines had them EVERY SPRING (lemon) and EVERY HOLIDAY (chocolate) So it wasn't until the kids were teens that I started making my own chocolate custard.

REVOLT!!!!!!

They wanted Dream Pie. 

I tried reasoning with them.

Nope. Dream Pie.

I showed them the list of mega-multi-syllable chemicals.

Still Dream Pie.

I scowled.

Got nothing but wrinkles.

And so I still make Dream Pie. Did you know you can make it with Cool Whip instead of Dream Whip? SHH.... Don't tell. State secret!!!!!

But for people who love a non-chemical absolutely melt-in-your-mouth delicious pie, the homemade chocolate cream pie is the answer. Fortunately some of my children got married.

Their spouses love the real deal. The non-chemically-induced pie.

So one by one I'm gaining favor. Fortunately I am a very patient person. And I never give up.

I will win the war eventually while conceding many battles. And none of this "Oh, as long as they're happy" nonsense. 

You and I both know that they should come to the light! 

But in the meantime that just means there's more really good pie for me!



Multi-published inspirational novelist Ruth Logan Herne is blessed to be doing exactly what she always dreamed/wanted/hoped to be doing as long as the good Lord gave her enough time. 

Well here she is! With over 60 novels and novellas published, Ruthy loves chatting with people, sharing her stories, bossing folks around and takes her know-it-all nature to extremes at times, but if you dig deep...

REALLY REALLY DEEP...

She's nice some of the time and she loves getting to know readers. Friend Ruthy on Facebook, hang out here with her and some of her wonderful author buds, stop by her website ruthloganherne.com or email Ruthy at loganherne@gmail.com. And yes, she actually answers her own email... :) 

8 comments:

  1. This is my go-to chocolate pudding recipe since you shared it the first time! It is SO rich, creamy, and chocolatey!

    But when I tried it in a pie, it didn't set well. It was still delicious, but the pie didn't come out in pieces. More like chocolate puddles on pie crust. Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that's so weird. You cooked and chilled it first? And then piled it in? I'm not sure what happened, honestly... it's never done that here. Now I have to take one for the team and make one and eat it, just to see, of course. :) I wonder if it needed a little more corn starch? But this is the ratio I use here... 1/4 cup/two cups liquid... Jan, you've stumped me!

      Delete
    2. Ruthy I feel like a chocolate pie experiment is needed.....

      Delete
  2. Sounds so rich and yummy! I may have to do this for Christmas. We're still working on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chocolate pie and it's so hard to buy one that doesn't taste like chemicals (they keep the emulsification together and preserve the pie) but I like that non-chemical old-fashioned taste. And Missy, this is great with a pre-made crust. Cookie crust is wonderful here... not graham with chocolate, I think the flavors fight. But then it's just making the pudding, chilling it, and piling it in the shell. And you can even just have a big can of Whipped Cream on the side to slather at serving. :)

      Delete
  3. The only thing I might do differently is to whip up the left-over egg whites into meringue to top the pie. But real whipped cream is good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodnight! You came to visit! YAY!!!!!!! Oh, I like the meringue version, too. Meringue is never a bad thing! And it isn't just for lemon pie. It works on chocolate, coconut, etc. Merry Christmas, dear friend!

      Delete
  4. Ruthy I feel like you read my mind! I would eat this warm! We even have a bunch of cracker pie crust. The last couple of weeks I have been thinking I should make pudding from scratch. Mmmmmmm Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete