Thursday, June 27, 2019

Welcome, Summer!

I was walking by a baseball coach last night and he was explaining to his earnest eight-year-olds that the days were growing shorter...

I almost kicked him.

Does he realize how long some of us have waited for these long, sun-soaked days????

Of course he does, he was being funny, but the solstice has come and gone and I am not ready to look forward while we're still struggling to fight off bugs, rabbits, woodchucks, deer, drenching rains, broken equipment and all the mud that goes along with it!

Nope, this is the start of something BIG up here! A season of sun and Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes and beachs and Abbott's Frozen Custard.

Burgers at Bill Gray's or Schallers....

Walking the pier at the Charlotte beach where the Genesee River flows into Lake Ontario and joins in the dance to the ocean through the great St. Lawrence River.

Of course we're still planting right now, and the grandkids are playing Little League baseball and travel soccer and I'm having so much fun running from field to field in the evening. I could stay on the farm and help or write a bit more each night, but the best part of summer is cheering the kids on! So that's my evening routine and I love it!

And the over-abundance of rain hasn't dampened everyone's spirits, my friends! Here's Lena with a reason to dance:  https://youtu.be/NaZTQURBgBA

And let's see what else we've got goin' on here today:

A walk down Memory Lane here... Cocoa Mocha and Honey-Bunny White Sox chillin' together about 18 months ago... Cocoa was hit be a car two weeks ago and Honey Bunny has been stepping in to nurse Cocoa's four babies.... and after a rough start, she's getting the hang of it. Her twins are ready for homes this week, so she's extending her mothering duties for the duration and Cocoa' s four babies are doing all right! Yay for Honey-Bunny! This is Honey with her baby boy....

I had a crew on hand today, weeding, hoeing, planting.... and homemade pizza semed like a great idea and it's not hard once you've taught yourself how to make a good solid bread dough. Or buy bread dough at your local grocery store. We have it in our "bakery" department, but I've seen it in deli sections, too!

I used my favorite bread recipe for the crust, only instead of piling everything on it, I've learned to go after it easily. It's the Betty Crocker White Bread recipe I've shared often...

But after it rises the FIRST TIME, cut it in half, shape each half into a classic round, then using knuckles, gently spread the dough out. (More on this below...)

Top with favorite topping (I made mine today, there was little choice! ))

Sauce was SIMPLE:
1 large can of Crushed Tomatoes
A generous sprinkling of  Parsley, garlic and basil leaves and then about 1/3 cup Ketchup.  Let simmer for a few minutes on stove. No long simmering needed for this.
I used on with little holes in the back.

Spread crust out gently. Drizzle with olive oil.... Using a fork, make tons of tiny holes to help keep crust soft. (It works!!!!) (I have two of those round pizza pans with tiny airholes, they do a great job of baking pizza.

Then a slathering of Parmesan cheese....

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until almost cooked... then add sauce, cheese, pepperoni and finish baking for about 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven.

This keeps the crust soft and chewy, the kids love it without overdone cheese and everyone is happy.

Except they were all so hungry, I forgot to get pics of the pizzas when they were done! EEK!

It has been typical summer crazy here, but let's not focus on that... let's take a minute to thank God for little girls twirling in the rain....

Kids in trees...

Puppies....

New adventures and opportunities....

And the beautiful faith that strengthens us through adversity.

We are so blessed and it's always good to look on the bright side of life... to count those blessings.

Wishing you all a happy Thursday (and I'm finishing this Thursday morning because I was falling asleep last night! Good old outdoor physical exercise is an amazing thing!)

Multi-published, award-winning author Ruth Logan Herne is still pinching herself because she's living her dream of being a published author and like totally one of the coolest Grandmas on the face of the earth.... including the homemade pizza! You can friend Ruthy on facebook, follow her on Twitter, email her at loganherne@gmail.com and stop by her website ruthloganherne.com. She love to hear from readers and writers! 



11 comments:

  1. All those books that make farming life look so bucolic... no "bugs, rabbits, woodchucks, deer, drenching rains, broken equipment and all the mud that goes along with it." But oh, those summer evenings sound delightful.

    Happy summer. We're finally getting hot and sunny after all the rain. Time to crank up the AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to the AC! Last year (we have four window units... wait, 5 now,) I had to install them mid-May... this year we haven't needed them. Extremes in weather are so abnormally normal!!!!

      And I love these summer evenings, they are my best reward. M&Ms are a good reward, but kids games are the best. The mud and broken equipment makes the farmer a little testy. (read between the lines there, darlings.... ) :)

      Delete
  2. That Lena is such a doll, Ruthy! Oh, to be that carefree. And the kittens are so sweet. But the pizza... I don't care if I just ate breakfast, I want pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo good!

      And Lena cracks me up, she's adorable and she's got a mind of her own, Mindy.... and you know I love that! :)

      Delete
  3. Yes! It's finally summer!

    We're in the middle of thunderstorm season in the Black Hills - nearly every afternoon/evening the storms roll through...but the rest of the day is gorgeous. Warm weather, sunshine, and blue skies!

    Summer around here means tourists. LOTS of tourists. They come to see the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, the Badlands and more. And they come from all over! We stopped at one of our favorite overlooks on the Iron Mountain Road the other day and every car except two were from out of state (and a couple of them from Canada.) And even though it wasn't crowded there, we heard at least three different languages. It always amazes me. From now until mid-August the tourist season keeps ramping up...and then school starts and the frenzy is over for another year.

    I love it. I love sharing my favorite places with people, and to see the look of awe on someone's face when they see Mt. Rushmore for the first time makes me grin all over.

    I'm missing my ice cream, though. Armadillo's gets SO BUSY during the summer that we opt to stay out of the crowds. :-) But once mid-August comes, we'll be there on a regular basis again, getting our fix.

    I love the story of Cocoa's kittens...but how sad, too. Kudos to Honey Bunny for stepping into the gap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention the pizza! I used to make pizza just like this when everyone lived at home. It was a quick and easy supper, and I let everyone put their own toppings on their section of the pizza before I baked it. Fun times.

      Now that we only have two of us at home, I've found that a flour tortilla makes a wonderful light pizza crust, and saves on the carbs. I think it's time to have pizza again soon!

      Delete
    2. Jan you just gave me the idea of a pizza quesadilla!! Mmmmmm

      Delete
  4. Jan, I love tortilla pizza. I love the chewiness! And the tourists are so cool... I love that about Lower Manhattan, so many voices, and languages, and people... I noticed that at the Grand Canyon, too... it was a huge melting pot. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthy, I never have pizza sauce when I need it, so thank you for sharing this recipe!! I'll have to make it next time instead of buy a jar.

    This looks so good! I had planned to get pizza ingredients today at the grocery but got sidetracked when I remembered a covered dish dinner coming up on Saturday. I got so involved in planning for that, I forgot to get stuff for tonight's dinner! So now, we're going to just eat sandwiches or maybe even cereal. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cereal is on my list too hehe. DH just left for a train (I got him for almost a whole day) and I don't really feel like cooking since my kitchen is hot from using the dehydrator.

      Delete
  6. Ruthy your kitty reminds me of my mom's. Her dog had puppies and she did not make a good mother. One of her cats stepped in to help. Even though she could not feed him she still gave comfort. The poor boy didn't make it (he was super small) but it was still sweet. I keep telling DH if he wants a cat he has to smuggle my mom's cat home sometime lol

    ReplyDelete