Friday, June 7, 2019

A Most Unusual Chicken Salad

Missy Tippens

Who loves chicken salad? I do! Which is why I had to try this recipe.

When I check out recipes, I usually save them to Pinterest and go back to them later if I ever think of them again. But sometimes, I find a recipe that I go ahead and print because I know I definitely want to make it. This was one of those.

Chicken Salad with Apricots, Celery and Blue Cheese
By Anna Stockwell at Epicurious.com (click here for the recipe)


I won't share the whole recipe. You can get it at the website. But quickly... I shredded a rotisserie chicken. Added sliced celery and salt and let it sit.


Then we made a dressing out of buttermilk, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. I love my little salad dressing whisker from Pampered Chef.


Once all that is mixed together, we added the rest of the ingredients--fresh apricots, fresh mint, blue cheese, and celery leaves.


It made a really good salad with nice crunch! I think I might make it with feta cheese next time. As much as I love blue cheese, the cheese we bought was a little overpowering.



If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it!


www.missytippens.com

15 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I would ditch the celery for celery seed and use feta. Cheese with actual mold doesn't flip my trigger. I am going to be making more chicken salads since they make good wraps for a traveling man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, the celery makes up the bulk of the salad, so you might want to add something in its place to give the crunch. I think fennel would work great if you like that.

      Delete
    2. BTW, my husband doesn't like celery at all but was able to eat this. :)

      Delete
    3. I love that you've got a travlin' man, Katie! :) And good wraps are a wonderful thing.... and remember the women used to make pasty pies, meat pies that could be hand-held.

      I want one right now. With cherry pie filling, LOL!

      I am so proud of how well you and the big guy are adjusting to your new normal. Seize the day!

      Delete
    4. Oooh, a cherry fried pie sounds amazing right now!

      Delete
  2. I love all kinds of chicken salads - I'll have to try this one. And Katie had a great idea to put it in a wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I agree a wrap would be good with this! It would tone down the blue cheese. :)

      Delete
  3. Ha -- not a chicken fan for obvious reasons but the apricots have thrown me for a loop. lol Yucky fruit to begin with but in a chicken salad? This lack of imagination and a discerning palate is the reason I don't write cookbooks. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kav, you made me laugh. The apricots threw me too, but mainly because I'm only used to eating them dried, so the photo looked more like peaches - which would probably also taste great with a chicken salad.

    Missy, did the rotisserie chicken have any flavorings to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I'm more used to dried apricots as well. But these were good! Very peach-like.

      We bought a plain rotisserie chicken, so no flavoring other than the roasted flavor.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my stars, I would love this. I love fruit and meat and I love nuts thrown in, too... but the celery crunch is a must. What a great recipe, Missy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I think nuts in this would have really been good. Wish I had thought of that!

      Delete
  7. Ellouise PenningtonJune 10, 2019 at 11:04 AM

    Sounds amazing. I love everything in the recipe. Certainly will try this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete