Tuesday, June 25, 2019

My Favorite Kale Salad

Yes,  you read that right. I have a favorite kale salad. Now, it's no secret that our friend Cate Nolan loves kale. So today, I thought I'd revisit a kale slaw I discovered a few years back, just to show her that I'm not a kale hater. In reality, I really do like this salad, however it does take a little time to prep.
Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 head kale, stems removed and sliced thin
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • juice of one orange
  • juice of half a lemon
  • salt
  • ground black pepper1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
  •  1 slice bacon, cooked crisp and chopped 
  • 1 rounded Tbsp. mayonnaise
Place the kale into a salad bowl.
Toss with carrot, orange juice, lemon juice, and salt. Using your hands, rub the acid into the kale. Basically, pretend you're giving it a massage. 

Set kale aside.

Prepare a large bowl of ice water and a saucepan with boiling water.
Place the sliced onion into the boiling water for 15-30 seconds.
Remove and immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process. This removes the bitter taste of the raw onion.
Drain the water and blot the onions with a paper towel.

Add the onion, bacon, olive oil, salt, and pepper to kale and toss.

Add the mayonnaise and mix the slaw well.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be made several hours in advance.
Just look at all those vibrant colors.

This is so yummy, y'all. That citrusy flavor lends just enough sweetness to make it addicting. Making it a perfect addition to your summer salad list. After all, IT HAS BACON! Now how could that be bad?

Here at the ranch, we are between grandkids. One left Sunday and the next group will be in just in time for the fourth. Can you believe it's already the 4th of July? Wasn't it just winter? I'm still working on my menu, so I'm hoping you'll tell me about some of your favorite 4th of July celebration dishes. 


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my word.....

    Oh my word....

    Oh my word... :)

    Now I need chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, there's never a bad time for chocolate.

      Delete
    2. Unless you eat it with kale. Snicker.

      Delete
  2. Think broccoli.

    This could be done with broccoli.....

    Now I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love my broccoli salad, which also has bacon. Bacon is key. And now I'm craving broccoli salad.

      Delete
  3. I was right there with you until the bacon. Bwahahaha! I actually have kale seeds and an empty spot in my garden. It's all the rage here to mix up veggies with your flowers so I may just toss in some seeds and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, you can leave the bacon out. And I think you should plant the kale in your flower garden. Those leaves would look beautiful.

      Delete
  4. YUM!! Although I think one slice of bacon should be changed to one PER SERVING. LOL

    Thanks for sharing, Mindy! I'll have to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good to me! I am the lone kale lover in my household, but the addition of bacon might sell it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might, Laurel, but don't count on it. Which will mean more for you, right? ;)

      Delete
  6. LOLOL If it's Mindy, there has to be bacon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sure, Mary Cate, just look right past the kale. Besides, one slice of bacon with that much kale isn't much.

      Delete