Monday, June 10, 2019

Amish Barbecue Chicken Recipe Reminder

I'm running out of food...on purpose. In just under six weeks, we'll be moving out of our house, putting everything in storage for a month, and living here and there among our church family. In the middle of August we'll be moving into our new place, but until then, cooking and living are going to be an adventure.

So getting a meal together is beginning to look interesting around here. I often spend time browsing through my recipes to see what I can make with the ingredients I have on hand. Because by the middle of July, I want an empty freezer and refrigerator!

In my browsing, I came across this post, and I had to share it. Not only for the recipe (which I'll be making tonight for supper,) but because Uncle Wayne and Aunt Nancy celebrated their 60th anniversary over the weekend.

So here's a great summer recipe rerun:

Amish Barbecue Chicken

Everyone should have an Uncle Wayne.

This picture is an oldie! This is Uncle Wayne and my brother in 1959.

Uncle Wayne joined our extended family when he married my dad's sister 55 years ago. According to Aunt Nancy, I welcomed him into my life with all the unconditional love a two-year-old can give.

But Uncle Wayne brought more to the family than his mechanical abilities and love of John Deere tractors - he brought his Mennonite family's chicken recipe!

In northern Indiana - actually, in all the Amish communities - when it comes to recipes, Amish and Mennonite roots are pretty interchangeable. In fact, until the late 1600's, there were only the Mennonites. Then Jacob Amman had some disagreements with the Mennonite leadership, one thing led to another, and by the early 1700's there were two different denominations.

But that doesn't change the fact that the two groups have the same Swiss/German heritage.

All that is to explain how my Mennonite uncle brought an Amish recipe to the family.

Uncle Wayne in 2010
Another thing about this barbecue recipe is that it isn't tomato-based. It's a sweet/sour combination that comes straight from my German forebears. Think about it - sauerkraut (pickled cabbage), rote kraut (red cabbage), pickled beets, red beet eggs - all have that sweet/sour flavor. It's even an old Pennsylvania Dutch tradition that a meal isn't complete unless the table includes seven sweets and seven sours!

I don't think a written copy of Uncle Wayne's recipe exists. I'm sure he keeps it locked inside his head. :) But I found a few recipes on the internet, and then fussed and changed and deleted and added until this combination tasted as much like Uncle Wayne's as I can get. Maybe he'll stop by the cafe today and let us know how close I came!

Amish Barbecue Chicken

Ingredients for the sauce:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper



Mix all these ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil (you may want to open a window - it gets pretty strong!). Boil for a couple minutes, and then set the sauce aside to cool a little.

The Chicken:

 I used boneless chicken breasts, cut in half from top to bottom (making two thinner slices of chicken). You can also use chicken quarters, or even a whole chicken, but keep in mind that those will need to be marinated longer than the breasts, and will take longer to cook.

Place your chicken pieces in a glass dish, pour the sauce over them, and make sure all sides of the pieces come into contact with the sauce. Marinate the chicken (in the fridge) for several hours, or overnight. While it's marinating, turn the chicken occasionally to make sure it all gets sauced.


Here's where you know I'm not really following Uncle Wayne's recipe. There should be multiple pans of chicken quarters covered in gallons of sauce - enough to feed a large extended family plus the neighbors. And I wouldn't be cooking it on some sissy gas grill, either. The real grill to use is a 55-gallon drum cut in half, propped up on legs (made in your barn, by the way), and with hardware cloth or something similar for the grate. Oh - and don't forget a ton of charcoal! You've got a lot of chicken to cook in Amish Country!

Sigh. I miss living close enough to attend those family reunions!

Here in the Black Hills, our family isn't quite as extensive. Back to fixing supper!


Maggie-Cat came to watch the proceedings as I started the grill.


She was soon joined by Thatcher and Wynter...of course. :)


When you cut the chicken breasts in half, they don't take long to cook. I usually plan on about 5 minutes per side. Baste the pieces liberally with the sauce while they cook. Don't worry - this recipe doesn't burn as easily as tomato-based sauces.


Thatcher and Maggie-Cat kept a close eye on me. Just in case - you know - I might drop one of those chicken thingies on the deck.

Until....


What was that noise?


Uh-oh, an afternoon thunderstorm is rolling in over the Hills! That chicken better get done quick!


Whew! We made it back into the house before the first raindrops fell!

And yes, the chicken was as good as it looks!

* * * * * * * *

And now, back to the future.

I loved seeing the pictures of the dogs with Maggie-Cat in this post! The house is very quiet without them. But Maggie still hangs around while I'm cooking, and thunderstorms still have her running for cover!

Is your grill ready for another season of delicious meals? Or have you already been grilling for weeks?

I can't believe that we were still dealing with snow a few weeks ago!





Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-six years.

10 comments:

  1. Hello, Maggie-Cat!!!! And I love seeing those old pics, too.... and I'm going to try this chicken recipe, maybe even today. It's early and I've got lots of time and they're predicting rain later. This looks and sounds good to go with yesterday's tuna-and-pasta macaroni salad, the kind we all used to make. :)

    Every now and again I make it because Dave could eat that as a meal.

    Jan, I know moving is crazy and nerve-wracking and I'm pulling for you 100%. It's an adventure... and hopefully the last move you have to make. Can't wait to come West and see you some time and we can go see The Boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to that visit, too! We'll have breakfast on the deck at the new place and have a great view of George, Thomas, Teddy and Abe! Of course, after breakfast we'll go for an up-close view of Mt. Rushmore. :-)

    I hope Maggie-Cat makes the move all right. Cats don't do well with change, and she'll be moving from pillar to post along with us this summer! But I know she'll settle down once we move into the new place in August. She'll enjoy the afternoon sun streaming through the windows and won't worry about anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 60 years??? WOW!

    This recipe looks delicious, Jan. Thanks for sharing.
    I know you're missing those sweet fur-babies. ((((hugs))))
    Praying for a smooth move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. 60 years! What a blessing!

      Thanks for the prayers!

      Delete
  4. This was amazing!! Thank you for sharing this story about my mom and dad. Love you so much. Jan

    PS. It isn't written down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Your mom told me I wasn't exact with my recipe, but a recipe like this is never exact. :-)

      I love you, too!

      Delete
  5. LOve all those sweet furbaby pictures! Ugh to moving in general but I'm sure you're excited to get settled in and enjoy that incredible view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are looking forward to this move being done with! Only a couple more months...

      Delete
  6. Jan, what wonderful photos! I love how your Uncle Wayne upgraded his tractor to about triple the size! :)

    I don't tolerate the smell of vinegar very well, so I might see if I can figure out a way to cook the sauce outside on the grill. haha I'm sure I would love the flavor, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Maybe it would work to cook the rest of the ingredients and add the vinegar later, after the mixture has cooled a bit. That would help reduce the vinegar smell.

      And the tractors! I think of Uncle Wayne every time I see anything with a John Deere logo on it!

      Delete