Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Summer Salads

As the weather heats up, side dishes here at the Obi house shift from things like potatoes and roasted veggies to a variety of salads. So today I thought I'd share two of our favorites. One is quick and easy, the other is easy, but takes a little bit more time.

First is Cucumber and Onion Salad. As soon as the weather turns warm, my husband starts asking for this. And I always have to add extra onion just for him.
Start by peeling and thinly slicing a cucumber or two. 
Put them into a bowl, then slice some onion, add that to the cucumbers and toss everything together.
Next, in a 2 - 4 cup measuring cup or medium bowl, mix 2 cups water, 1 cup vinegar, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp black pepper and sugar to taste. I usually add about a tablespoon, but you can start with 1 tsp and go up from there until you reach the desired amount of sweetness. For me, I'm simply looking to take the edge off of vinegar, not anything really sweet. Stir until dissolved and pour over onion/cucumber mixture.
Allow to sit for at least an hour before serving.

Avocado and Tomato Balsamic Salad is quickly becoming one of my go-to sides. I can whip it up in a flash and it's so delicious and healthy that I've been known to make a meal of this alone.
Simply cube the avocado and some tomatoes into a bowl. I prefer the flavor of grape tomatoes, so I just halve them. 
Then drizzle a little bit of olive oil over that, add several shakes of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt.
Gently toss everything to coat and that's it. You're ready to go. 
Fresh veggies and fruits are part of the beauty of summer. And while we can get many of these items year-round, they just taste better in the summer when they're fresh and, often, locally grown. 

What are some of your favorite summer salads/veggies?





Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.



8 comments:

  1. Mindy.... my mother used to make a cuke and onion salad just like this and when I made it for Dave as a new bride, he was flabbergasted because it was vinegar and water dressing... no oil. He wouldn't eat it, the bugger, and I was so mortified thinking I'd done something wrong because obviously if his mother made it with vinegar and oil dressing, my mother was wrong.

    I love you so much right now.

    HAPPY IN WESTERN NEW YORK.

    Isn't it funny how things become habit? My mother-in-law always made spaetzle (they called it "Sputz's") which was a doughy pasty-thing in browned butter.

    I would not be able to eat it, it's not my cup of tea, but I loved that light cucumber salad with water (and probably no calories, right????)

    So we bring along different things to a marriage... but I do still like the old fellow, even though he hated my cucumber salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, there is something odd about using water, but if you used just vinegar, it would be horrible. My mom made this when I was a kid, but I don't ever recall a recipe so I had to wing it. And yes, no calories!

      I had spaetzle often when we lived in Germany. As far as I was concerned, it was only as good as the sauce that accompanied it. Definitely doughy.

      About that husband of yours, I bet this cucumber salad is only one of very few things you make that he doesn't like.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of cucumber and onion salad! What type of onions do you use? Is that a weird question? Oh well. And love the idea of that avocado salad -- so pretty and summery! I need to get a cherry tomato plant for my garden. :-)

    I eat salad year round but it sure tastes better in the summer (and cheaper to buy!) My stand by is to just toss whatever I have in the fridge together -- nothing fancy like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I usually buy sweet onions as my staple, but you can use just regular white/yellow onions. The red ones might color everything.

      I agree that salad tastes better in the summer. It's nice and refreshing. While in the winter we want warm and comforting.

      Delete
  3. Our weather has not actually had me thinking of summer foods yet, but oh boy do these look good, Mindy.

    My grandmother taught me to make a version of that cucumber dish when I was little. I loved it. But now that I'm old, I can't eat cucumbers. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, first, you are not old. Second, what a shame that you can't eat cucumbers. And third, is it still cold in NYC? Or just rainy? Either way, summer is bound to show up eventually. For your sake, I pray it will be soon.

      Delete
  4. You made me so hungry, Mindy! When I was a kid, my mom and dad often made marinated veggies. They would do cucumber and onions but often added fresh mushrooms. It was so good to me-- even as a kid. Very refreshing.

    I'll have to try the avocado recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I'm not sure how I feel about adding fresh mushrooms to the cucumber salad. I love mushrooms, but I've never tried them with a vinegary mix. Interesting.

      Delete