Monday, June 17, 2019

Moving On

Warning! Tissue alert!

I have been blessed. Truly blessed. There have been many dogs in my life, and three of them have been "that dog."

Caleb. March 1980-August 1989

Caleb was the first of those three. He was a puppy in the Humane Society shelter in 1980. I had just gotten my first apartment and wanted a "protector" dog as I lived alone in the not-so-nice part of town. A collie-shepherd mix, he had contracted distemper in the shelter, and I nursed him back to health. He was my best bud as I navigated things like my first job, marrying my dear husband, and giving birth to my first two children. He was my comfort when I suffered my first two miscarriages, and my joy in everyday life.

It was when I lost Caleb that I realized I was one of those people with a dog-shaped pocket in the corner of my heart. His sudden loss was heart-wrenching.


Connor. March 1999 - July 2012
He never did understand the camera.

Ten years and a couple dogs later, the next one of those dogs came into my life. He fit perfectly into that dog-shaped pocket from the first time I saw him at the Humane Society. When I went back to pick him up the next day, he was as happy to see me as I was to see him. He was a Border Collie, and as smart and wonderful as any of his breed. When I sat on the floor, he would put his front paws on my shoulders and "talk" to me, his nose next to my ear. He understood almost everything I said. When we had to put him down - old and worn from battling hip displaysia - I grieved for a month. Or more. 

Thatcher. March 2013-May 2019
You all know the third of those dogs. He was part of life here at the Cafe from the time he was born.

In the middle of a dead snake derp-fest. The smell
astounded him!

When Thatcher died, I went through a week of "I can't do this again. I'll never get another dog." And a few more weeks of getting teary eyed whenever I was reminded of him. I still get teary-eyed. Life without him is quiet. Empty.

Maggie and Thatcher in the "big dog" bed.

We're in a season of change right now. Losing both Wynter and Thatcher has been tough. That dog-shaped pocket in the corner of my heart feels awfully hollow right now.

At the same time, we're in the middle of moving, and our children are flinging themselves hither and yon (all right, we do have two that are still in town!), and we're making decisions about what furniture to move, which plants to move, etc. etc.

A big season of change. But it's time to put the past in the past and look toward the future.


Good-bye Thatcher. I'll never forget you. You were my BFF -  my best furry friend. I'm sorry you never got to go on turkey patrol at our new home.

But looking forward and moving on...perhaps in a few months...

Pearl's puppies. Photo credit: Tammy Roberson

Maybe one of these little ones will take their place in that dog-shaped pocket.

Could I be so blessed?

By the way, four of these cuties are still available. They were born on June 6th. If you're interested in adding one to your family, I'll put you in contact with their breeder.








Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-six years.


16 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel you 100%.... I just love that dogs love me unconditionally. They are so happy to see me! They light up a room when I walk in, which probably says more about my needs than theirs, LOL!

    Such trusting hearts... and so hard to say goodbye.

    Even though we know, from the beginning, that we are most likely going to outlive them.... it's still heartbreaking.

    And those Corgis are stinkin' cute puppies and dogs. Those funny little legs!

    I know not everyone is a dog lover. I get that. But I am and I have that dog-shaped hole inside that loves to take care of a furry friend... while they do exactly the same for me!

    Thank you, Jan.... And I miss our Thatcher, too. :(

    And life goes on.... but differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look at Pearl's puppies, trying to decide which one might be ours, I am reminded that every time we bring a dog into our families, we are signing a contract. Making a covenant to love, care for, train, feed, groom, walk, wash, and clean up after this creature for the next ten years or more.

      And part of that covenant is making the best decision for them at the end of their life. Not the best decision for us. The best decision for them.

      Yes, life goes on. Because the love and joy we get from our doggy buddies is worth it. Even the heartbreak at the end.

      PS - I love those short corgi legs, too. Somehow, those short legs don't stop those dogs from keeping up with the big guys!

      Delete
    2. Short legs long body!! Still makes it possible to stretch for that bacon for a Christmas breakfast ;)

      Delete
  2. Jan, some people don't understand how we can grow so attached to our dogs. Those people have obviously never had THAT dog. The one who was your baby. That you nurtured and watched grow. The one who held a special place in your heart. I hope you find THAT dog again, preferably sooner than later. Thatcher can't be replaced, but we have the capacity to love infinitely. BTW, I nursed a dog back from shelter-born distemper, too. A challenge, for sure, but one that's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nursing Caleb back to health from distemper was so worthwhile. He was such a good dog, and loved our two oldest children very patiently when they were babies and toddlers.

      And you're right. Individual dogs can never be replaced, but new ones can fit snugly into that empty pocket.

      Delete
  3. Sniffle -- lovely tributes to some special furbabies! I thought of you and Thatcher yesterday when I came across a corgi on my walk. What a dapper little guy, so sweet tempered and eager to let me love on him. Corgi hearts are much bigger than their itty-bitty legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dapper" is the perfect description of a Corgi, but I loved your last sentence. Itty-bitty legs are no indication of the size of a dog's heart and personality!

      Hubby and I met a goldendoodle on our morning walk and I thought of Ruthy's dogs. If we get two dogs (yes, we're crazy enough to consider that,) one of them might be a GD. We certainly enjoyed meeting that one this morning, and her owner - a new neighbor.

      Delete
  4. What a touching post, Jan. I still miss Duke every day. But right now, we have the grand dogs for a week, so that helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like fuzz-therapy, is there? Enjoy your grand dog time!

      Delete
  5. We know where someone gets his love for dogs. He just says I bring it out in him more 😂 #crazydoglady. We are sure going to miss coming to see Thacher and Wynter! Not going to lie sometimes they were the reason for the visit! I don't know if I can imagine you without at least one writing side kick Jan. Looking forward to meeting the next furry family member when the time comes. I didn't know a lot about the other 2, but my favorite Conner story is the hidden mouse one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jacob grew up with Caleb!

      And the Connor mouse story! So funny!

      For those who don't know it: Maggie-Cat loved to hunt mice out in the compost pile in our garden in Kansas. One day she brought one inside the house to play with. The poor little thing got away and ran straight for the closest hiding spot - the "feathers" of Connor's tail! Connor looked at it, sniffed a little, but didn't move. I think he knew he was hiding Maggie's toy. :-)

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful, heartbreaking post. I have had those moments, although usually with cats. My most recent bff who left was Cinnamon, a gorgeous white and brownish orange regal feline we called His Majesty. I will get another cat, but I still miss him after two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some pets just grab your heart and never return it, don't they?

      I had a cat like that, too. KC. Such a beautiful, loving cat. Maggie-Cat makes me laugh and is a good snuggler, but KC stole my heart.

      Delete
  7. This is so heartbreaking, Jan. I remember how devastated we were when we thought we were losing Fenway at 7. Now he's an old man at 11, so I know time is limited (although the vet swears he'll live forever). I don't think I'll ever be able to get another - one of the problems of working full time and living alone. I see how unnerved he is by the end of the week, and he knows he's loved. If I had family nearby it would be different. In the meantime, I'll just love the blazes out of him while I have him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven is awfully young, but yay Fenway! We'll be praying that he stays healthy and lovable for many more years.

      Delete