Thursday, June 6, 2019

A New Puppy on the Farm

I am addled.
I admit this.
There is nothing else to really say, but I love dogs.... Not more than my grandkids, mind you. I'd risk my life for them.

But that's another blog for another day.

The dogs, on the other hand, are my good buddies and they are so happy to see me when I get home.

They love me with unconditional love. How many people can you say that about?

Not so many.

But the dogs' love is so filled with trust and hope. I love it!

We said goodbye to Mick, our first stud dog.... He'd been living the life of leisure with Mandy and Paul and Mary Ruth, but we knew the end was drawing near and it did. I said goodbye to a good old friend.... and we cried.... and we brought him home to bury him on the farm next to Maddie, the Golden we lost to cancer at age six.

Mick lived a full, long life. Maddie's was cut short. The words "The sharp knife of a short life" were what I felt when Maddie died. To lose her so unexpectedly, at such a young age....

And our Libby, the beautiful chocolate brown Standard Poodle who gave us several litters of puppies is 11 and a half now, and she's fought cancer twice... and we know it's just a matter of time.

But while she's still here to teach a young dog good manners, we drove to Lancaster, to a lovely family there, and bought "Lark" who has been renamed "Hearthside's Miss Maggie Mae".





She's like a dust mop of strawberry blonde waves.... We are so excited to welcome her here to the farm and she likes her crate, loves walks, does not like the leash, and has not had an accident in the house.... and all systems are "go"! She doesn't whine or fuss... and she's already learned to stay down, no jumping.

That's amazing for three days, which means she's smart because I'm barely average as a dog person! :)

She is our big news for this week... and we love her to pieces. She's got Mick's coloring but no shedding, and if we do decide to breed her to Jeter when she's older, what a fun bunch of puppies that would be...

But right now she's our puppy... our new little friend. And that's about as sweet as it can be.

Multi-published inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne has just proven that she does love dogs.... she loves God even more! And she's particularly fond of her family most of the time, and those grandkids are the totes magotes, whatever that means.... friend her on facebook.... email her at loganherne@gmail.com or stop by her website at ruthloganherne.com. She loves to hear from readers and writers!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous!!!! Miss Maggie Mae is adorable and it sounds like she's the perfect fit for becoming a farm girl. Now I'm doodle dreaming for my own pawsitively happy furever after. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is a dream come true puppy. No whining... no accidents in the house or crate... great personality.... and she's gorgeous. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. But it makes me very happy. The "chill" personality and being 4 months old make a big difference, Kav!!!!

      Delete
  2. I hate that I know that feeling - "The sharp knife of a short life" - all too well. Losing a dog so young and so unexpectedly...it's hard.

    I'm so glad you found Maggie Mae to add to the family! She's lovely to the max! And the possibility of future Maggie Mae/Jeter pups??? Put me on the waiting list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you understand that. It's like a blow to the head and heart. :( And wouldn't it be fun to see what kind of doodle puppies we would get? We thought we'd get an array of colors with Mick X Libby (Mick was red Golden Retriever, Libby was chocolate brown poodle.)

      We got black.

      Dozens of black puppies before we retired Libby.

      I didn't realize that dog color genetics aren't exactly like ours, LOL! But then I have a son with black hair... a daughter-in-law with gorgeous red hair... and they have three blonde children. :) So what do I know????

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Mindy! I hope she loves being part of our family and the normal "crazy" surrounding us. And the not so normal, too!

      Delete
  4. She is so cute! How many acres is your farm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Linda! Thanks for coming over... it's just under 50 acres and about 35 of that is "tillable". Not big, but big enough for our pumpkin farm idea, and bringing folks here to buy pumpkins and cornstalks and gourds and squashes and veggies.... and straw and all the beauty of fall in the Northeast.

      Delete
  5. What a sweet puppy. And MaryRuth!!!! Oh my gosh, what a darling. I can't believe how much she's grown.

    Happy puppy days. Fenway will be my last, so I hope he stays around a while longer. It's just too hard to manage a dog when you're on your own. If I need to stay late at school or go somewhere, it's always a struggle. But I love my Fen boy.

    ReplyDelete