Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Keeping Up with Baby

Last week, our youngest daughter and her husband went on a marriage retreat, so Grammy and Big Daddy had their little peanut to themselves for two whole days.
Such a short time when there's so much to explore.
Inside, we discovered fresh peaches. Yum!
Big Daddy's ice cream.
And boxes with the most amazing toys.
But outside was even better. There were rocks to play with.
And hanging with the dogs is always fun.
Almost as fun as the pool.
But the bestest thing of all was the Polaris.
Let's go!
Big Daddy was not about to disappoint.
They went through the woods and saw all sorts of cool things.

But, alas, all good things must come to an end. Mommy and Daddy retrieved their little one and returned to the big city where she's certain to be bored with the same old, same old. Yet while the memories of this trip will likely be forgotten, there are many more to be had down the road. And when she is older, perhaps she'll recall them fondly, just like I do when I think about those summers I spent with my grandparents at the lake. 

If you're a grandparent, what sorts of memories do you hope to create for your grandchildren? If you're not a grandparent, do you have memories of your grandparents and time spent with them?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

19 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this!

    What a blessing to have a weekend getaway with Grandma and Big Daddy! I'm just laughing looking at that cute, sweet face.

    Dogs, woods, cows, all kinds of beauty and Grandma and Grandpa's love.

    Perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I think the spoiling has begun, because she got to do so much more at our place than she does at home.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Mindy! No grandkids on the horizon here, but your photos bring back such sweet memories of when my own girls were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Mary Cate. It doesn't seem that long ago when it was our kiddos that were that little. Where does the time go?

      Delete
  3. I think Grammy and Big Daddy had more fun than the little peanut! What a wonderful weekend of making memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right, Jan. Goodness knows that our little peanut wasn't the only one who was worn out. ;)

      Delete
  4. Monday it's puppies and Tuesday it's babies -- this week is turning out to be full of heart melting cuteness! Love that you shared your grammy moments. I'm the grandmother of a dog...does that count? lol Grandparents were something I missed out on when I was a kid since we'd immigrated and all the relatives were an ocean away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course grandpups count, Kav. You still get to love 'em and spoil 'em, and then send them home. I can imagine it was tough with your grandparents on the other side of the pond. Did they ever get to visit you?

      Delete
    2. Alas, no. I visited Ireland after high school but both sets of grandparents had passed away by then. Met uncles and aunts and cousins galore though.

      Delete
  5. My paternal grandparents owned a cabin by a lake when I was a child. From the age of 6 to 16 I would spend 2 1/2 months there. Was a fun time every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were fun days, weren't they, Kim? Such fond memories of swimming or just hanging out at the lake, catching fish, meeting new friends... Those were the days.

      Delete
  6. No grandkids yet here--but my goodness--she sure is adorable!! Makes me a little wistful! One of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't rush it, Laurel. You still have kiddos at home. Enjoy them while you can. They'll be gone before you know it, then you'll get to play grammy.

      Delete
  7. Loved your article! I'm looking forward to becoming a grandmother one of these days. One thing I hope I get to do is help with her schoolwork. I didn't start homeschooling my daughter until the 3rd grade. I'm hoping my daughter will home school too and I can help out with those early grades I missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, that would be wonderful to help homeschool your grandchildren. It takes a special person to be able to homeschool.

      Delete
  8. Mindy, that's so wonderful! What sweet, sweet photos! I'm sure she'll end up having the best of memories from Grammy's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, she's a little young to remember this trip, but there will be more.

      Delete
  9. I, too, am in the "hopefully one day!" category. :)

    ReplyDelete