Friday, April 12, 2019

Trying My Best to Like Plain Greek Yogurt

Missy Tippens

I've tried. Really hard. But I just have not been able to eat plain Greek yogurt! It's like eating sour cream by itself...only worse! (shivers)

But recently, while at a Weight Watcher's meeting, a woman shared a sauce recipe to use on chicken and pork: fresh or frozen cherries, dijon mustard and plain Greek yogurt. The sauce is great because it's 0 points. She said she just blends it up.

I don't think I've ever bought frozen cherries. But I LOVE fresh ones. So I decided to buy some frozen to try in the sauce, as well as to use in smoothies.


And since I keep buying large containers of plain yogurt and end up throwing it out, I decided to just buy a couple of small, single serve containers to give her recipes a try.


For the smoothie, I put about a cup or more frozen cherries in my Ninja blender cup. I added about half the container of yogurt. Then put in about a cup of almond milk. I also know my tastebuds well, so added Truvia to sweeten the yogurt. :)

I blended it up (had to add some more milk to make it drinkable because it was too thick). It was so good!


I'll definitely be doing this again! I'll also let you know how the sauce turns out.

Missy

www.missytippens.com

9 comments:

  1. Missy, fat-free yogurt is such a great source of protein. Try the Oikos Triple Zero in vanilla flavor for your smoothies. It's already sweetened with Truvia, though you still might want to add more. When using the plain yogurt, try adding a splash of vanilla.

    Plain yogurt was all my late MIL ever used. So my boys learned quickly how to doctor it up. They'd put it in a bowl, add some vanilla and sweetener (Splenda was all she ever had) and then a hefty dose of sprinkles. Because sprinkles just makes everything better. ;)

    Let me know how the sauce turns out. It shouldn't be bad, because sour cream sauces are usually yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, the Triple Zero yogurt is 3 points, so that's why I've been trying to get used to the plain Greek yogurt (free). But I love the idea of adding some vanilla! That and the sweetener might just do the trick.

      I agree the yogurt should do great in a sauce for meat! I look forward to making it soon. I have actually used it on chili and was okay with that.

      Delete
    2. That was my comment above. I wasn't signed in.

      Delete
  2. I’m a fan of yoghurt but not the plain kind unless I smother it with fruit! But I guess that doesn’t count...or counts too much? I love dark cherry yoghurt—though I know there’s nothing ‘free’ about it! Must see if I can find some frozen cherries and see if I can make my own. And a smoothie sounds divine. Love them in the warmer seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, all fruit is free, so I can smother it! And then shake some Truvia on it. haha

      Delete
  3. I have almost stopped eating store bought yogurt. I use it as a starter in my homemade and that is it! My husband likes sweetened condensed milk and vsnivan in his, but I make mine plain and strain it so it is thick. You can then add what you want! If you make your own sugar free compote worth 0 points that will help too! We like smoothies too! Makes for a quick breakfast if you plan ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I keep thinking of making it in my Instant Pot. It's just waaay down my to-do list. :) But maybe someday!

      Delete
    2. Well when you do remember you can make it super easy and point free. I think you can do it with ultra pasterised low fat or fat free milk. Might have to do some looking on that. If you can't find a 0 point yogurt with live cultures there is a way to do it with some kind of probiotic. I bet the fat free stuff still has live cultures though!

      Delete