Friday, April 19, 2019

French Macaron Class!

Missy Tippens

Y'all, I learned how to make French macarons! I took another class at The Cook's Warehouse and had a blast. One of the associate pastors at our church, C. Kay Fuino, had heard me raving about the pasta making class I took last year. So she signed up for this one and invited me to take the class with her. It was so fun to do it together!

Chef Lizzie Jones was amazing. So helpful and patient as we worked in our groups to make different spring flavors.

I'm not going to share her recipe. I don't feel like I can do that since it came from a paid class. However, I will share a link to a site that she says she has learned a lot from.

Indulge with Mimi 

That link is to a macaron recipe at Mimi's site. She includes a video tutorial.

The steps aren't difficult, but they're a lot of work. And macarons can be finicky depending on the humidity. It's a bit taxing physically as well. I feel like I developed some muscles from all the stirring during the macaronage! :) But it was so worth it!

The class participants were broken into 4 groups. All made a basic macaron shell. Here are the variation of flavors/colors that were made:

Lemon raspberry with lemon raspberry curd filling--shells were dusted with crushed dried raspberries.



Lavender with honey buttercream filling--dried ground lavender was mixed with the dry ingredients and the batter was tinted purple. Then dried lavender buds were sprinkled on top before baking.


Matcha with chocolate ganache filling--matcha powder added to dry ingredients


And our group made Sparkling Mimosa macarons!

We tinted our shells orangy-pink and dusted with gold edible glitter. The filling was Orange (flavor, not color) Champagne Swiss Meringue Buttercream. The buttercream was AMAZING. My favorite of all the fillings we tasted that day. It was flavored with reduced Champagne and orange juice and zest. I felt lucky to learn how to make it! Again, a lot of work but worth it. Here are some photos. We used different piping tips and made smooth and fluted. We had a ton of buttercream so filled them generously. :)




We got to sample all of them--the fruits of our labor (a three-hour-plus class!) And here's a bag I got to bring home. However, they were hard to place in the bag! Still tasted amazing, though.


If you ever get a chance to take a class (or just to try making them by watching a video), I hope you will. They were delicious! And we really felt a sense of accomplishment. :)

I hope you all have a blessed Easter weekend.


www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool, Missy. And it must have been loads of fun. I love the colors. They look so beautiful and springy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and they're having another class in the summer, I believe, with new flavors! :) I may have to splurge.

      Delete
  2. That looks like so much fun, Missy! And the colors! And those flavors! So fancy. It looks like a flower in a dessert. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I haven't tried as yet... My aunt used to bring meringue kisses from a fancy bakery for Christmas and drop them off for us... oh, the colors of those fancy little cookies!!! So I taught myself to make them years ago, but only one kid likes them. Luke.... The rest shrug them off, so if I make macarons, will they even bother eating them????

    But maybe for a shower at some time, right? That would be a wonderful cookie tray moment....

    Missy, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd spend the effort if no one in the house likes them! But they would be great for a shower or some special occasion. :)

      Delete