Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Easy Shrimp Parmigiana

I did a post for the Love Inspired blog last week about how easily I'm attracted to the food characters in books are eating. Like every time I read one of the cozy mysteries from Laura Childs, I want tea and scones.

And when I'm writing, I tend to get sucked into whatever my characters are eating.

Last Friday, I was reading a book and the characters were having spaghetti and meatballs. They were raving over the meal, and I was having SERIOUS CRAVINGS.

But it was a Friday.

In Lent.

That means no meat.  😢

No meatballs. 😢😢


No problem!  😀

I remembered I had shrimp in the freezer. That would work, right?

My husband absolutely hated the idea of tomato sauce with seafood, so I'd gotten out of the habit, and I did a quick Google search to make sure it was actually okay to mix them. I found some recipes for shrimp parmigiana so I figured I was okay to wing it on my own.

Because the thing was ***confession time*** I wanted to eat it, but I wasn't particularly keen on cooking.

Again, no problem.

I bought angel hair pasta - just a few minutes to boil.

I bought a jar of tomato sauce, poured it into the pan, added the frozen shrimp, dumped some cheese in and simmered.

Once the pasta was ready, I poured the shrimp mix on top, sprinkled some extra cheese on and stuck it in the oven for a few minutes.






Cravings satisfied!!!!



Am I the only one who gets so caught up in what the characters in books are eating?


5 comments:

  1. I love shrimp and pasta... But I haven't done a light red sauce with it in ages. Cate, thanks for this reminder of what a great combo this really is. I tend to think of scampi and clear or cream sauce with seafood... silly me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scampi is how I usually (always) go, too, but I really wanted red sauce after reading that scene.

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, I'm easily temped by foods I read about and see on TV! There's an Italian restaurant we like to go to that has shrimp parmesan! I actually like the chicken parm better but my mom enjoys the shrimp dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I prefer chicken parm to this also, but it served its purpose well.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a foodie at all but I get a secret thrill when I read food-centric novels -- like Brunch at Bittersweet Cafe. I don't understand half of the terminology but I drool over the food descriptions anyway! And I love a good cozy mystery with a bakery or a candy shop in it...I think I gain weight just reading about all that decadence!

    ReplyDelete