Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Key Lime Salmon

Spring has fully arrived here in Brooklyn.

Cherry blossoms are just about to peak.
Pretty front yard

Early lilacs.





So I have a springlike dish to share.

Fair warning - this is one of my weirdly-inspired dishes.

The salmon part is normal. I just sprinkled a salmon filet (wild Alaska salmon) with dill and baked it in parchment paper.

I'd made rosemary potatoes to go with it, but it just felt bland. Most often when I had dill with salmon, it was in some kind of sour cream or yogurt sauce. I had neither of those...

EXCEPT...

I had Key Lime Greek yogurt.

I'll admit, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, so I just kept it on the side. I was pleasantly surprised.

Caveat - I periodically get Key lime cravings. Visions of a sunny Florida Key, Margaritaville, and all that, so it was going to be pretty hard to dislike this. Still, I wasn't sure how the flavors would meld.

The fact is, it tasted so good together that I had it again a week later!

Excuse the sad photo. I didn't make a very large portion and it was hard to get a good shot.



And the best part was, I didn't use up all the yogurt, so I got to mix in some mini chocolate chips for dessert!



YUM!

What do you think? Would you like this flavor mix? It's not SO very different from adding lemon, which we do all the time with seafood.

9 comments:

  1. lol -- well, the salmon is out for me but I'm even iffy on the key lime yogurt...that sounds so strange to me. :-) You guys have different flavours then we do. The most adventurous I've gotten is dark cherry yogurt...yum, but I don't think it would go with salmon. lol

    Love your spring pics. We're getting there...as in most of the snow is melted and I did see some crocuses poking up out of the muddy earth but that's it so far. We're alternating rainy days and warm sunny days so I expect tree buds and flowering shrubs will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cherry yogurt, Kav. But I get Key Lime cravings.

      I'm so glad you're finally getting spring. Every time my daughter urges me to move to Maine, I think of the long winters.

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, you are so creative in the kitchen. But about the key lime yogurt, I'm assuming it was slightly sweet. And that paired well with the salmon? I usually use lemon pepper, so I'm used to tang with salmon, but not sweet. So I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I get bored easily. LOLOL
      Key Lime actually does have a bit of a tang to it.

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting combination! I don't usually do lemon on my salmon, so I probably wouldn't try this, but kudos to you for mixing it up!

    And the flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. Cherry blossom time is so pretty here.

      Delete
  4. Kav, we have buds on some trees! Hope is coming your way!!!!

    And Cate, this is intriguing. And I agree with Mindy, you are a kitchen adventurer. I love that about you!

    I am boring myself lately, and that doesn't bode well for food blogging, does it, but it's coming onto farm season and I've got a boatload of things to do to get ready.... I need to clean and clear garage and yard to be able to put baby plants and potting supplies and a ton of fertilizer and all that stuff someplace...so I'm back to sandwich or hot dog or burger detail... So this looks even more marvelous, Cate!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm boring myself too. I think I've eaten more chicken in the past year than in the rest of my entire life - and I don't even like chicken!

      I was thinking of you and farm life.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos!! I'm so glad you're having a little spring finally.

    I think I could do a creamy lime and dill sauce. Interesting combo! :)

    ReplyDelete