Thursday, April 25, 2019

A Trip to The Silos and Magnolia Market

So youngest son is living in Dallas now...


and we went down to visit him last week so that I could do some book research, and Dave and Luke could see Mike Trout play baseball because the California Angels were coming to Arlington to play the Texas Rangers... and it was Holy Week, which wasn't how or where I generally spend Holy Week.

BUT....

It worked out beautifully.

I got my research done with a trip to Chip and Joanna Gaines "Silos". Mindy and I perused the Magnolia Market (so many pretty things to see!) and fell in love with some quaint and beautiful ideas for the home...

And the garden...

And the cupcakes. :)



The cupcakes were amazing and I gave my final two to Innocent, my Uber driver because managing two cupcakes on the plane with turbulence just sounded like disaster waiting to happen, right? Why set myself up for failure when an act of kindness works so much better!

We had a great time in Texas!!!

First, folks in Texas talk to you.

You know, radical crazy things like "Good morning!" or the notorious "Have a nice day, y'all!"

STUFF LIKE THAT!!!!

THE WEIRDOS!!!!

Oh my stars, that was quite refreshing because folks don't talk to youse in NYC. They avert their eyes, drop their gaze and pretend you do. not. exist.

Last year I was strolling down William Street in Lower Manhattan and a homeless man's jacket was on fire. Smoke was billowing from his pockets where he'd put a cigarette butt to save for later, but it wasn't quite out.

Hundreds of people walked by.

Sent him looks of disparagement.

Not one offered to help the old timer until I stopped....

And you know what his first words were? "You're not from around here, are you?"

SIGH.......  No. Because where I come from, folks stop and help an old fellow in trouble. They treat him kindly and maybe buy him an egg sandwich and fresh coffee. Not because they have to. But because he's human and they're human and that makes two humans.

It's all mathematical!

So Texas was way fun... I found a lovely chapel for Holy Thursday/Maundy Thursday Mass and was blessed by that... and a couple of homeless folks on the way, so I figured the church wouldn't mind if the homeless fellows got my offering in lieu of the church basket.

And I went to Fort Worth Stockyards with Farmer Dave and Luke (youngest son) and it was so much fun. It's different than when I was there about 8 or 9 years ago.... They're building new things and some of the old shops are gone, but the cowboys are there and the cattle and horses and I got to sit myself on a bull!

Yee haw!



And then we had a lovely Easter with family, a beautiful Easter Vigil service and a lovely Easter Egg Hunt for the grandkids on Easter morning.... and it was lovely.

So how was your Holy Week? How was your Lent? I'd love to hear about it!



Multi-published inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne is the author of 50 novels and novellas and still loves, loves, loves what she does because it's crazy fun and she loves making up stories. Write to her at loganherne@gmail.com, visit her website http://ruthloganherne.com and friend her on facebook where she loves to chat up her love for God, family, faith, friends, babies, dogs, donkeys.... and her love of being an American!

16 comments:

  1. First off, RUTHY SAID, "YEE HAW!" Goodness, the next thing we know, you'll be saying "y'all" for real! :)

    What a fun trip! I'm so glad you got to visit Luke in his new setting. I still think we need a Magnolia Seeker retreat!

    Those cupcakes... gorgeous. Too pretty to eat. Almost. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, a cupcake is never too pretty to eat.

      Delete
    2. LUKE SAYS Y'ALL!!!!! Oh my stars, my first kid to jump the fence, girls!!!! :) I loved Texas. LOVED it. I can't leave my farm or my 11 grandkids in New York, but I loved Texas!!!!!

      And I'm agreeing with both of youse... never too pretty to eat! :)

      Delete
  2. Ruthy, just for the record, the only time I've ever heard a Texas say YEE HAW is in jest. Now, you might have the occasional, Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ha, but that's it. And there's your Texas lesson of the day.

    I can't imagine living in a place where people refuse to connect. No wonder there are so many hurting, angry people. They don't like being ignored.

    So glad you got to spend time with Luke (and that I got to spend time with you) and that you got to visit the Stockyards. They're just fun. And I'm with Missy on the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a Magnolia Seeker retreat... Can't be during farm season for me, the mums are not to be trusted to others.... but after the Christys in November? (I'll already be in Nashville! Halfway there!) Or next spring? My schedule always messes us up.

      Delete
  3. Love that you've confirmed my fictional impression of Texas! And I'm in drooling mode after another yummy cupcake photo op. :-)

    We're semi friendly up here...at least, I greet everyone I pass in my neighbourhood -- including the dogs! And most times people say 'hey' back. But downtown, not so much -- unless something unusual stirs up chatter -- like a pigeon and a squirrel playing tug of war over a piece of bread. But the majority of folks would help someone in obvious need without a second thought. So, I guess as a city we're middle of the road friendly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, that's interesting. I think NYC is simply jaded now. And way over-crowded. It's very different than a dozen years ago. Or post 2001... I'm delighted that both boys have moved on to new locations. Room to breathe and grow. And with fewer taxes! #BONUS!!!

      Delete
  4. Okay, I feel like I need to defend NYers here. I really truly believe there are kind, helpful people everywhere (as well as the self-absorbed, the shy, the distracted, etc.). We've got our share of friendly types here too. They just don't say YEE HAW too often. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! Defend away.... I agree that there are kind folks everywhere... and maybe Brooklyn and the boroughs are different??? My time has been in finance, in Lower Manhattan, and it's been very much "to each his own" as I've walked the streets. Of course seeing kids leashed to a gang leash (like dog walker-style) so the daycare could take them for a walk was disconcerting, too. :( The thing is, for folks there, this stuff is their normal...

      But it's not the norm for millions of us, so that's a whole other perspective, right? We tend to see our normal as "the norm".

      I think that's why I love traveling to so many different cities and areas, Cate... because then I can interject their normal into a story. Not just setting, but attitude and action/reaction. You know Houston vs. Dallas vs. Austin kind of thing. Three major Texas cities... but if you ask a person in one about the others??? Oh man, do they have opinions!

      And you're right, there's never been a Yee Haw in my hearing in Manhattan, LOL!

      Delete
  5. Was that just a Yee haw I heard from you, Ruthy? That sounds strange coming from a NYer, although I guess it's okay since you live on a farm. LOL We don't usually say that here in Utah, either, although it IS way out west! People are usually friendly here and will jump in to help others.

    I enjoyed your post, and I'm glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Winnie!!!! I had to work outside yesterday and then a granddaughter's play last night, so I'm late getting over here, but our weather for the next few days is cold and rainy/snowy so I had to get stuff done when I could...

      I have never been to Utah. You and I talked about that at CFRR. I bet it's got its own personality, too! One of these days I will head West for a week or two and just absorb some more Western fun! So far I've been to Texas, Arizona, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Washington... all for more than a day to check things out. Must see the Dakotas and Idaho and Utah and spend some time ooing and aahing there!

      Delete
    2. I have extra beds if you're ever this way, Ruthy! We'd love to have you visit!

      Delete
  6. You had WAY too much fun in Texas, Ruthy!

    And I agree about that northern/southern friendly thing. When we first moved to Texas, I wasn't sure what was wrong with people. Who goes around saying hello to strangers??? I soon learned it was the thing to do.

    Out here where we are, it's a mix. We're northerners, but we're also small-city western.

    Hubby has the "pick-up wave" down, though. Every car or truck we meet on the road gets the two finger salute from the top of the steering wheel. I've even accused him of getting the truck just so he can do the wave.

    He doesn't deny it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to clarify - he only does the wave thing when we're outside the city. Preferably on a gravel road.

      Delete
    2. Jan, I was just about to mention the two finger salute. That's a standard in our neck of the woods.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I love this! A true Western thang!!!!! That little salute is akin to the cowboy touching one finger to the brim of his hat to bid goodbye to his lady friend... or lady enemy, depending.

      SWOON......... :)

      I did have fun in Texas, Jan. It was marvelous!!! And hanging out with Mindy was SO WONDERFUL!!!! We had so much fun together.

      Beaming!

      Delete