Monday, August 13, 2018

Low-Carb (and gluten-free) Blueberry Muffin for One

by Jan Drexler

A few weeks ago, Missy shared a delicious recipe for Blueberry Muffins. So rich and fluffy!

In case you've overindulged on the "real" thing, I'm here today to help you with a diet version. I make this muffin much more often than the standard one. It's tasty, and doesn't pack on the carbs like a normal muffin.


I like very few blueberries in my muffin, but you
can overload yours if you want to!

I'm talking about a recipe I found in my Trim Healthy Mama cookbook. Because of copyright restrictions, I can't give you the entire recipe here, but you might want to look into purchasing the cookbook if you're interested in the Trim Healthy Mama plan.

And similar recipes can be found all over the place on cooking blogs, like Mrs. Criddle's Kitchen and My Montana Kitchen.

If you make this muffin the way the THM recipe specifies, it is dairy-free (using coconut oil instead of butter), gluten-free, and sugar-free.

It's also delicious! But don't expect a low-carb muffin to taste the same as Missy's version. The ingredients are too different. Good, but different.

The main ingredient I use in this muffin is the flour substitute. I use either Trim Healthy Mama's baking blend, or I make my own from a recipe I found on-line:

No-flour Baking Blend

1 cup oat fiber
3/4 c. coconut flour
1/2 cup golden flax meal
1/2 cup almond meal
1 Tablespoon Glucomannan or xanthan gum (a powder, in spite of its name)
2 Tablespoons collagen (I use Trim Healthy Mama's Integral Collagen)

*Glucomannan and Integral Collagen are both available from Amazon or from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.

I purchase the other ingredients at Sam's Club, or you can find them at most Walmarts and other grocery stores. If you can't find them there, try your local health food store.

Of course, you can make the muffins using only almond meal or coconut flour, but the baking blend gives my baked goods a more flour-like texture.

This recipe uses 1/4 cup of the baking blend for one muffin, so the batch of baking blend goes a long way.

What do you think? Would you try a muffin like this? Or maybe it is already your favorite stand-by. Let us know!






Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.



5 comments:

  1. It amazes me how many ways there are for baking these days... Jan, I am hugely in favor of anything that keeps us moving and trimmer as we age gracefully (as long as there's PHOTOSHOP around!!!) :)

    What a great idea... and when fruits and veggies are in season, it's so much fun to use them. I didn't freeze blueberries this year, but we have the berry blends at Walmart, so I grab those regularly to play with in the kitchen.

    So what's the texture like? A little more mealy than normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at the variety of recipes available, too! And some of them are very good. :-)

      And yes, the texture is more mealy (from the almond flour) and a little grainy (from the coconut flour). But the key is to not expect a fluffy made-from-white-flour muffin...although they certainly have their occasional place in my life!

      Delete
  2. Jan, is this the Brainy Blueberry Muffin, because that's one of my favorites. And yes, I love having the alternatives to the carb/sugar laden blueberry recipes we usually share here at the café. I made some THM approved blueberry cheesecake bars last week and they were quite yummy. I like it when I can have all the satisfaction without the guilt/carbs/weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! (I should have included the recipe's name!)

      I made some cheesecake-like bars one time, and ran across the recipe again last night when I was looking for something else.

      You know, with some of those recipes, I don't feel like I'm missing anything!

      Delete
  3. Mindy, I love cheesecake. I think I just love desserts, like to the max.

    ReplyDelete