Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Easiest Pot Roast Ever Makes for TWO Great Meals

One of my favorite things to do on Saturday mornings is to watch the Food Network. If I'm cleaning or working around the house, I like to have it on because I never know what I might discover. Like this totally different pot roast recipe.

You can find all the details here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mississippi-pot-roast-3517283

Though it's still done in a Crock Pot, this is not your typical brown gravy, onions/carrots/potatoes roast beef. Aside from being uber easy, it has a unique flavor that lends itself to some wonderful leftover possibilities.

Gather all of your ingredients.
Place the roast in the bottom of your slow-cooker and simply toss the other ingredients on top of it.
Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove roast to plate and allow to rest 10-15 minutes.
Now, armed with a couple of forks, simply pull the roast apart and serve as you like.
Depending on the size of your roast and how many people you're feeding, you'll likely have leftovers. I always get a roast that's slightly bigger than I need so I'll be guaranteed to have leftovers for another quick and easy meal.

A couple of days later, it was time for roast beef sandwiches. However, since the flavors of this roast are so different and a little bit tangy, this calls for a different kind of roast beef sandwich.

Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add two slices of rye bread.
Top each with a slice of provolone cheese. I picked provolone because it's a mellow Italian cheese, perfect with the flavors of the meat.
Add some of your leftover roast to one side. Be sure to get some of the pepperoncini in there.
Cover with the other side and grill until both sides are toasted to a golden brown.
Since was for dinner, I cooked up some sweet potato fries as a side dish. The sweetness of the fries was a perfect match for the tanginess of the sandwich.
Now that's some good eatin'. Best of all, I had two meals that involved very little effort on my part, which gave me more time to write. 

Well, we finally got a tiny bit of rain here at the ranch. Emphasis on tiny, though it was a very soothing rain. And with the sun still shining, made for a nice photo op. 
That's Spanish moss dripping from the trees, but if you look closely, especially there on the bark of that darker limb, you'll see little diagonal lines. That's our rain.

So what do you think about this variation on your typical pot roast? Would you give it a try?
------------------------------
Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus, lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children, two dogs and countless cattle. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining and sometimes adventurous manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

4 comments:

  1. I make a roast similar to this in my Instant Pot called "Italian Beef Sandwiches," except the recipe leaves out the part about eating it as a roast! That sounds delicious!

    I love the way you did your sandwich...a little Reubenesque! I looks fabulous.

    And I wondered if you were getting any rain when I saw the national weather report. It seems like Texas goes overboard in everything - when you have rain, it's a flood. No rain? Drought. You need to land in the happy middle between the two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I LOVE a good Rueben. Not sure I'd want the sauerkraut on this, though.

      And the rain. Houston got it. North Texas saw tons, as did parts of the hill country. Even our little town saw 2+ inches. Here at the ranch? 3/4 of an inch for the entire week. Sigh. Like I said, we're in a bubble. I hate seeing the ground get so dry, the grass turning brown and some of the trees losing their leaves/needles. But God has a reason, so I just have to trust that our time will come.

      Delete
  2. This looks wonderful!! So wonderful in fact that I am not sure there is a pot roast big enough to ensure that I'd have leftovers after my hungry boys got done with dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Laurel! So good to "see" you. Okay, in your case, just make two, but don't tell them about the second one. One for dinner one night, the other a couple days later. Problem solved. Or not. Because if they're anything like my guys, they can sniff out that meat no matter what. ;)

      Delete