Thursday, August 16, 2018

Cheesy Garlicky Zucchini Bread

Okay, this is a marvelous recipe! It's different and wonderful and easy and a favorite around our house where zucchini rules the day from July into September.

It's got a "Red Lobster" biscuit type texture, and it's great warm from the oven or even at room temperature... if you want to re-warm it I use the microwave for about 20 seconds (more or less depending on your power) and then add butter...

OH MY STARS, SO WONDERFUL!!!!

We're getting set up for the mum and pumpkin season on the farm. That means we're busy cleaning displays, stacking pallets, re-arranging this, that and the other thing.... So yes, crazy busy but focused on a fun selling season!

But in the meantime, we're busy playing with recipes and chasing chipmunks out of the house, but that's a story for below!

Cheesy Garlicky Zucchini Bread

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded zucchini (there we are, Mindy!!!) 
1/2 cup sharp shredded cheese

Mix dry ingredients together. Add shortening, cut into dry ingredients with pastry blender, food processor or two knives, criss-crossing back and forth until mixture looks like "meal".

Add eggs, milk and shredded cheese. Mix until blended. Don't overmix.

Either divide dough into two separate greased loaf pans, or one big loaf pan. Pan should be about 1/2 full. Bread will rise.

Bake at 400 degrees for about thirty to forty minutes. Bread should feel firm to touch and be light gold, hinting browning...

Serve warm or room temperature.

Great consistency and flavor, perfect bread for dinner table or breakfast warming!

So last week I FORGOT to post in Yankeebelle.

I blame the chipmunk.

The chipmunk became an uninvited visitor into our house nearly two weeks ago. I opened a cupboard, and like a stinkin' Disney flick, there was this, this... thing! Curled up and sleeping on a duster, nice and soft... He jumped up...

So did I!

And the chase was on.

He darted into a hole he'd chewed in the corner, the little pest!

And thus began our saga of trying to catch or kill (don't yell at me, the critter wasn't paying rent or taxes and refused the eviction notice!!!) Six days later...

(and by the way, he didn't like Bisquick. I'm just saying...)

After being thwarted with D-Con, a trap, glue traps and then another trap...

We finally caught the very lively, funny-looking chipmunk lovingly called "Alvin" or "Chip" by facebook friends following the saga...

And it wasn't a chipmunk at all.

It was a baby squirrel.

A very lively baby squirrel.

We had him trapped in a Have a Heart trap and took him outside to live his life...

CHORUS OF BORN FREE!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Ruthy, this sounds delicious! And I've only used zucchini in sweet stuff (where it adds that wonderfully moist texture). I'll have to try this out.

    We're still buying zucchini... You know the old joke: What do you call someone buying zucchini at the grocery store? Friendless!

    Our zucchini experiment (growing zucchini in containers on the deck) has produced a couple of them so far. The trouble seems to be pollinators, so I'm reduced to playing Cupid on the appropriate mornings. Which reminds me...it's time to see if there are any female flowers blooming before the male flowers close up for the day!

    Glad the squirrel/chipmunk episode had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthy, either I'm blind or there's no zucchini listed in this recipe. It's called Cheesy Garlicky Zucchini Bread, so I kept looking for the zucchini but it's not there. Is this just an attempt to make this delicious bread sound healthy or did you miss something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I read through the recipe too quickly! Yes, I think there should be zucchini in that list of ingredients, too!

      Delete
    2. Laughing! Added it, oh my stars!!!!

      Delete
  3. This recipe sounds delicious but wondering about the amount of zucchini to use. Zucchini is coming to the end here but I made several new recipes with zucchini this summer with the bounty.

    There's never a dull moment at your farm, Ruthy. Another little rascal to pop into a story some day. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there will be a visitor in some book... soon... ay yi yi!!! :) So yes, one cup of zucchini per batch....shredded zucchini.... one cup.... I can't believe I left that out!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthy I was wondering what was going on last week!! I must try these. Someone else doesn't like zucchini unless I hide it in stuff. Apparently brownies are healthy when they have a vegetable....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahahahah!

      That's so funny! And true! This is really good bread, more like a biscuit bread.... and the zucchini adds a great bit of color. And don't be stingy with the garlic! :) I the original recipe called for much less but to have the right taste ratio, you need at least two teaspoons... Katie, you are the cutest thing!

      Delete
  6. So my son borrowed my camera... and we can't find it.

    And my phone is VERY ANGRY and still not paid for, so I'm nursing it along but it is now responding to my prompts of turning on and taking pictures....

    So I stripped it. Went to factory reset.

    AND IT STILL RUNS THE BATTERY DRY in an hour.

    With no apps pulling.

    So forgive me as I go through phone withdrawal....

    My tiny dancer! So Elton John....

    :)

    Anyway, I added the zucchini to the recipe, can you just see me doing this from memory??? After forgetting to post last Thursday???

    #crazymama

    ReplyDelete