Wednesday, August 29, 2018

The Magic of Leftovers

Have you ever discovered that sometimes the best meals come by accident?

I had one such delicious meal last week.

It was hot. I didn't really feel like cooking - so I decided to combine some leftovers.

I'll grant you that when the leftovers you're starting with are shrimp scampi and honey mustard salmon, the chances of success are good. But I wasn't sure of some of the flavor combinations.

My daughter had been over earlier in the week and I'd made scampi. I had a bottle of white wine that really didn't taste very good, so I added that to the scampi and it was delicious. Now I wasn't so sure how the wine tang in the scampi would work with the honey mustard. But, since I still had more of the wine, I added it in to the leftover scampi and then stuck the frozen leftover salmon in.

I let it simmer for the few minutes it took to cook angel hair pasta.

Once the pasta was done, I scooped it into a bowl and poured the seafood mixture on top.

WOW! It was so good. I literally devoured it.






But now the sad news. Because I enjoyed it so much, I tried to replicate it a few days later - only this time I had no leftover shrimp so I had to cook more. Apparently part of what made it so tasty was the leftovers sitting and marinating in the sauce in the fridge for a few days. It was still good, but not the knock-your-socks-off good from the first time.

In case anyone is interested in trying to replicate -

For the scampi - I just melt butter in olive oil with lots of garlic, some parsley, and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Sometimes (this time) I also include oregano and basil to taste. I simmered the shrimp for a few minutes in the lemon butter before adding the wine. Simmered briefly a few more minutes and it was done.

The salmon is simple - I coat frozen salmon fillets liberally with honey mustard. I only ever use this honey mustard. It is the one I discovered 30 years ago and still the only one I like. It's thick and goopy - much more like a honey texture than mustard.




As you read this, I'll be in my classroom setting up for yet another year. It's always hard to go back after the freedom of summer, but within minutes of being there, I know I'm in my element and looking forward to the year beginning.
Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a sudden heat wave, so I'll be cleaning and setting up in mid 90s temps with no AC. Hopefully it cools off before the students arrive!

And since summer is waning, I thought I'd share some pictures of all the gorgeous flowers growing around my city. We have had so much rain this summer that everything is growing like crazy.






I'm also thrilled with the reader reactions to our collection. It's been gratifying to see this




15 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm waving to you from William Street! We came down to the city to see Luke before he moves to Dallas... I get one day with my boy and then it's across country for him in four weeks...

    And a Lonestar Blodgett is born! :)

    Cate, this looks wonderful... and I've got to try that honey mustard, I don't like mine too mustardy so this looks like it would work. And the bottle is SO CUTE!!! :)

    It's all about the bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS all about the bottle! I save them to plant things in. Like plants. But you know all about planting.

      I can wave back to you from my bedroom window. Sorry I'll miss you this trip - but hey, we can all go visit Mindy now!

      Delete
    2. You bet, Mary Cate. You guys can escape winter and come on down. We'll write a little, eat a little (okay, make that a LOT), brainstorm... Fun, fun, fun!

      Delete
    3. Texas in the winter? Sign me up...for a short break. :-)

      Delete
    4. It was 97 with a "feels like 108" today, so Texas in the winter sounds grand. Is that when the snakes hibernate, Mindy?

      Delete
    5. Yes, they hibernate in the winter.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love to see those flowers thriving, Mary Cate. Most of ours are wilting in the heat, despite watering. I can't say I blame them, though. If I have to stay outside all the time in our heat and humidity, I'd wilt, too.

    And this dish sounds amazing. I'm not sure I would have thought to combine shrimp and salmon, but it looks delish! Now I just need some leftover shrimp and salmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little doubtful about the combo, Mindy, but I was hungry and didn't have enough of either alone!

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, this dish sounds wonderful! I love finding a great way to use seafood leftovers (which can sometimes be hard to deal with). Thanks for sharing! BTW, we've used that honey mustard for years, too!

    Such fun photos, too! I never expect to see that type flowers in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first bought that mustard over 30 years ago! A restaurant near work made ham and provolone paninis with honey mustard. They were amazing so I asked what they used and this Honeycup Mustard was it. I've used it ever since.

      Delete
  4. I also meant to say congrats on the new release! I bought it a while back and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy! And thanks also for promoting it on FB.

      Delete
  5. Love the flowers!

    And those are classy leftovers. I guess when you start out classy, that's where the leftovers are going to be. :-)

    I still don't have many leftovers, even though we're past the bottomless-pit stage of boyhood. I tend to cook a double batch and then freeze the meal for another day. Would that be called "intentional leftovers?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be called advance planning - something I am very bad at.

      Delete
  6. I love certain things leftover! Leftover taco meat and pasta are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete