Monday, August 27, 2018

Avocado-Feta Salsa

by Jan Drexler


Yes, you read that right - Avocado and Feta together in a salsa.

It's fabulous!

I first shared this recipe five years ago, but was reminded of it last week when the ladies of our church had our quarterly fellowship meal. One of my friends - I never did find out who - made a salad with a black bean salsa, and it was delicious. That's when I thought I should find this recipe again....

Start here:

Avocado, tomato, red onion and cilantro. Chop it all up.



And then add a bit of this:


Throw in some garlic and a bit of oregano, and then mix it all together with a splash of olive oil and some apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar - whatever you have handy).

And here's the hard part.

Refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours.

*tap, tap, tap*

And then it's good to go! You can eat it with tortilla chips, pita chips, or.....


Twice-baked Zucchini Rounds! 

Take one of those big zucchinis - you know, the ones that were hiding in your garden until they're gargantuan size and you don't know what to do with them - and slice a few 1/4" thick rounds.

Cover both sides with olive oil, and bake on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes or so at 375°. Then take them out of the oven and top them with your favorite combo. I used the Avocado-Feta Salsa. Stick them back in the oven and broil them for a few minutes, or until the cheese starts melting.

(2018 update - You could do the same thing with eggplant rounds. Oh, my, I'm getting hungry!)

Delicious!

I had a few of these for lunch with my Salmon with Garlicky Spinach (recipe here). It was a low-carb extravaganza!


And last week I put the salsa on my hamburger - now that was delicious!

(2018 update - don't forget, you can also toss the salsa in with your favorite salad greens.)


Okay, I know I need to give you the official recipe:

Avocado-Feta Salsa
(originally from AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients:
1 plum tomato, chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar (apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar)
2 Tablespoons crumble feta cheese

Mix together gently. Cover and chill for 2 to 6 hours.


Now, doesn't that sound easy? And so, so good. ;-)


What others ways can you think of to use this salsa - or any salsa?




Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.



You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.

6 comments:

  1. Well now, this is an interesting take on avocados, Jan. Not sure how I'm feeling about the feta. Though I love this kind of bruschetta-type means of serving it. Anything with avocado and tomatoes is very healthy, which is why I often make a salad of the two with some balsamic vinegar. Will have to think on the feta, though I do have some in the fridge. Still, some things must be pondered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it with the feta, but you could always try some cubed mozzarella to make it even more bruschette-like!

      But the feta gives it a different, earthy flavor (not dirt-flavor -eww!- but deeper, savory, satisfying). You'll have to try it!

      Delete
  2. Ooohhhh --- I think that salsa would be great a veggie burger! Or topping my black bean tortilla fillings. Very yum. And I love the zucchini idea. I'm always stuck when we're doing a potluck and I draw the appetizer card. This would definitely work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, Jan. I haven't made anything like this in a while, so I think I'm due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, yum!! I'm so glad you shared this again! I especially love the idea of putting it on zucchini rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I'm not an avocado person... but Jan you make this look good!

    It looks crazy artistic in presentation, too. I might be just a little bit jealous!!!

    Does eating from a wiped-out dish while standing count?

    Please say yes.

    ReplyDelete