Monday, August 6, 2018

Touring the Black Hills: Custer State Park

by Jan Drexler



The summer is winding down. The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is this week...



After the Rally, the tourist season dwindles quickly. By Labor Day the season officially ends, and a peaceful quiet descends over the Black Hills.

That won't keep us away from our favorite place in the Hills, though! Custer State Park is open year around!

I thought I'd take you on a seasonal tour today. Are you ready?


Late July/Early August is rutting season for the Bison. (It coincides with Rally week...no comment!)


We saw these two in a standoff last week. You can't hear it, but they are trash-talking each other something fierce! And why?


The bulls are on the right and the left, and that cow (with her tail raised in a 'come-hither' kind of gesture) is the object of their affections.

Things can get a bit wild. We drove on before they decided if they were going to come to blows or not. If you look at the pictures closely, you can see that both of these big guys have been in a few fights already this year. You can see the scars on their sides and shoulders.

By the end of August, the prairie grasses will be dormant - in dry years they are dormant by the end of July.

After rutting season is over, the bulls wander off alone
or in pairs. They become best buddies...until next July!

The grass holds its nutrition, though, and feeds the bison and other animals all through the winter until the green grass grows again in the spring. Meanwhile, the land is covered with a lovely shade of golden brown.


Late summer/early fall is a great time to see wildlife of all kinds, and some not-so-wild, like the park's burros.




When the aspen leaves turn gold. we know that fall is here and winter isn't far behind.


I've grown to love winter in the Park. There aren't as many animals to see, but it's so beautiful!




Winter eventually gives way to spring. The park can get snow almost every month of the year, but the grass does come back, and so do the animals.

In the spring, orange is one of my favorite colors!


This picture was taken in the spring of 2018 - last year's
grasses were burned off by the Legion Lake fire
in November 2017. Most springs, there is plenty of dormant
grass, but the bison are hungry for the green shoots!


Then we can visit some of our favorite places in the park - the Wildlife Loop, the Needles Highway, Sylvan Lake, Heddy Draw, Mt. Coolidge, all the hiking trails...

The Needles Highway


Badger Clark's home, The Badger Hole



The Cathedral Spires


And remember, the best way to see the park is on foot. But if you can't walk the trails, make sure your drive is leisurely...


Until next time!


Have you ever been to Custer State Park? If you haven't, what is the first thing you would want to see?






Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.

17 comments:

  1. Well, Jan, you know I've been there. Only in the summer months, though. Our trips were usually dictated by the moods of three little girls. They like seeing the bison and prairie dogs. We rarely got out of the car, though, because then it's kind of like herding cats. Our middle daughter would have tried her best to join the herd, if she wasn't disgruntled about something her older sister did. Ah yes, the memories.


    I can see why you would love going there I the winter. So quiet and peaceful. You can hear yourself think. And the snakes are hibernating. That's always a bonus.

    Love the pics, Jan. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask, what day are you headed up to the rally? :P

      Delete
    2. I've often wondered what it would be like if we had been able to move here twenty years earlier when our children were young. You're right - they would have been strapped in the car on the Wildlife Loop!

      But our children loved climbing (I still remember a trip to Michigan and our younger boys running up sand dunes...and back down...and up again...) They would have loved all the hiking, rocks to climb, and places to explore. Come to think of it, they love that now!

      And I see enough of the Rally in the Walmart parking lot. I have no desire to go to Sturgis! :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh, I remember those sand dunes, Jan. Most of all, I remember trying to run down, then tumbling head over heels and ending up with a mouthful of sand. Not a particularly pleasant memory. However, the view from the top of the dunes was pretty darn cool.

      Delete
    4. Okay, Mindy decided me. Winter. No snakes.

      Delete
    5. Glad I could be of assistance, Mary Cate. ;)

      Delete
    6. LOL! I had to include that picture because it's the only time we've seen a live rattlesnake in the wild! The rattlers are the only venomous snakes we have here.

      One thing. Only one thing you have to worry about. ;-)

      Delete
    7. The rattlers are the only venomous snakes we have here...

      DID YOU REALLY JUST SAY THAT??? LIKE THAT'S NOT ENOUGH?????

      Oh my stars.

      Did you really actually see the snake? Please say no.

      Delete
    8. Yes, I actually saw the snake. From the safety of the car!!!

      We learned that he has that greenish tint because he has just shed his skin. He was taking a sun bath in the middle of the road.

      Delete
    9. And I just looked it up. New York has THREE types of venomous snakes: timber rattler, massasauga rattler, and the copperhead.

      So yes, we ONLY have one! :D

      We won't even mention the scorpions in Texas...

      Delete
    10. Last week we had a coral snake by the side door (hubby says he hasn’t seen one of those since he was a teenager—that means it’s been a while) and then found a baby copperhead in the grass a couple of days later. Stupid snakes. Haven’t seen any here at the house in good while and was hoping to keep it that way. BTW, they both met an untimely demise. That’ll teach them.

      Delete
    11. At least it will reduce the venomous snake population on the ranch!

      Delete
  2. This is so interesting to me, Jan. I've been to both coasts, but never much inland except for quick trips for conferences (when you really don't get to sightsee much).

    The sights remind me of my favorite hymn, "How Great Thou Art" because, just WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that hymn, too. And yes, when I'm wandering around the Hills or enjoying a great view, I think of it, too!

      One thing my husband and promised each other when we moved here (almost eight years ago!) was that we would never, ever take these views for granted. Even in town we have beautiful sights in nearly every direction, and we enjoy them every time.

      Delete
  3. This is on my list for when I visit out west... And I'd love to see it with you, Jan! How much fun would that be???

    I just finished watering mums... it's 95 degrees with a feels like of a hundred or some such thing.

    That is the only thing I'm doing out back today.

    #holyhotness
    #ohmystars

    But I loved looking through this photo parade with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd give you the "back stage" tour, Ruthy!

      We have cooler weather today - a high of 77° before the heat comes back later this week.

      I keep hearing thunder...or it could be motorcycles on the highway...

      Delete
  4. Jan, I'm sorry I missed your post! Thanks for sharing the photos. I feel as if I've had a journey to a new place! :)

    ReplyDelete