Friday, August 3, 2018

Hooked on Eggplant! (Revisited)

Missy Tippens

I thought I'd re-share this post from 2013 because I'm once again going through an eggplant kick! Enjoy!



Missy, here. And I'm hooked on eggplant. Ever since I tried making the recipe Sandra LeeSmith shared on here (click here), I've been playing with eggplant and trying it cooked in different ways.

This spring/summer, my son planted his first garden at his rental home. When he came home for a visit, he brought me his first eggplant! I felt honored he shared. :) (Okay, so he probably had no idea what to do with it!) LOL



I just happened to have another eggplant (thankfully, because his wasn't very large).


We needed a quick dinner, so I chopped my eggplant and sliced his. Then I sautéed it in a pan in olive oil and garlic.


Eggplant can really absorb the oil! So you sometimes have to add a bit. But I buy a wonderful, fruity olive oil that adds great flavor.

Once it was tender, I served over spaghetti noodles and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

A yummy and quick vegetarian dinner!


8 comments:

  1. I love playing with eggplant! It has its own texture and flavor and I always feel like I need to be careful to enhance that rather than smother it.

    I tried this the last time you shared it and it was delicious! But this time I noticed that you mentioned a special olive oil. We have an olive oil store that opened in town a couple years ago...I'll have to go there to look for an oil that's more flavorful than my supermarket brand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I would love to go to an olive oil store! What fun! I've seen one near my mom but haven't tried visiting yet. I need to do that soon.

      You know, I used to buy a really nice olive oil but have found that Kroger and Sprouts brands are both very similar in flavor. I love one that's really fruity.

      I think I've also heard lately that it's good to soak the eggplant first in some water (or maybe it said salted water) so it won't absorb so much oil. I need to try that as well. Probably better for saving calories.

      Delete
  2. This does look delish. Funny, I've had eggplant at restaurants occasionaly but I've never cooked it. My inner traditional Irish woman is getting in the way perhaps. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, you should try it! It's sooo easy. Very easy to slice.

      Delete
  3. Missy, I'm sorry to say, but you lost me at eggplant. But how fun that your son has his own garden. Congrats to him. And the fact that you get to share in it's bounty is a win for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, he and his wife just moved to an apartment in Midtown Atlanta, so no more garden. However I inherited his nice grill. (Temporarily, though.) :)

      Delete
  4. Missy,
    I saw some eggplants at the Farmers' Market today that looked just like the ones your son grew. They were selling for $2 a pound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool, Mary Cate! Maybe he missed his calling. :)

      Delete