Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A Manly Meal

You know, I hate it when I finally cook a big meal and then completely forget to take pictures. The intention is always there and yet I still end up kicking myself when it's time for a blog post. Fortunately, most of what I made I've posted about before, so I'm not completely at a loss. 

So my guys were planning a big hog hunt for Sunday morning. I've told you about those nasty feral hogs that are prone to tearing up the ranch land. 
This time, my husband decided to bring in a professional. A fella that uses dogs to locate and hold the pigs, then they are captured so they can be sold. Yes, wild hogs are still a source of meat.

Knowing my guys would be getting up early the next morning, even before things turned bright, mama decided to make them a manly dinner Saturday night. Big Daddy wanted wings (recipe here).
I also threw in a small slab of ribs I'd bought on sale, but I don't have a pic. 

Then there was corn on the cob and cowboy beans (recipe here) to help round out the meal. 
Those chunks of bacon and a hint of sweetness make these a real crowd pleaser.

And, of course, no meal is complete with dessert. At least not in my book. And what's more pleasing than a classic chocolate chip cookie (recipe here). 
What's cooking at your place?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a manly meal! I love the idea of being able to just man the kitchen and have fun because this looks marvelous, Mindy! I can totally see this in a movie, can't you? A contemporary Western... and a hog hunt!

    It amazes me how many of those hogs have taken root in Texas. OH MY STARS....

    Now I want wings.

    Like really, really, really want wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm a carnivore at heart, so meals like this are just as appealing to me as they are to the guys. And I do love my wings. Sauce or no sauce, they're a favorite.

      Delete
  2. A hog hunt! That sounds like a Texas guy's dream come true. And you fueled them up with some good eating!

    Nothing has been cooking around our house, except for a big batch of a casserole the middle son made while we were out of town. He cooks up a recipe, divides it into to-go containers, and takes one to work with him each day. I have no idea what he made this time, but other weeks he's done burritos, or chicken alfredo, or cheesy chicken and noodles. He's pretty inventive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that's awesome that he does that. I hope he shares with you, too. That is, if you want what he's cooking.

      Delete
  3. I'll pass on the main course and head straight for the cookies. :-) Who knew that there were special feral hog hunting dogs?! I'd have liked to meet them -- though I'd be scared to death that the hog(s) might rough them up some. Guess you have to be hardy to be a dog in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, there have always been hunting dogs. These are just trained to seek out hogs, the way K9 dogs sniff out drugs.
      And I had a feeling this meal wouldn't be up your alley. However, if you'd been here, I would have made something just for you.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, you just made me so hungry! I'm waiting on hubby to get home from work so we can go out to eat. :) Now I'm craving wings and ribs. haha

    ReplyDelete