Friday, May 3, 2019

Simple and (Sort of) Quick

Missy Tippens

I'm just sharing a good ol' stand by today. Something made a little easier by my Instant Pot. I thought to make this because we had a bag of frozen leftover ham that was months old that my husband wanted to throw away. I didn't want to waste it since it didn't have freezer burn, so decided to use it to flavor one of my favorite things...

Pinto beans!

Good protein, good fiber. And inexpensive.

I took a 1 pound bag of dried pintos and rinsed them.


Because I was using the IP, I didn't need to soak them. However, they weren't as tender as I would have liked, even after reheating them the next day. So next time I'll try to remember to let them soak overnight to see if that makes a difference.

I added 6 cups of water because I like mine soupy. But I think you need to add at least 4 cups.

Then I added some olive oil, chopped onion, chopped ham, and a bit of vinegar.


I cooked them on manual, high setting, for 45 minutes with a natural (not quick) release.

They turned out tasty! I ate them several times leftover as well. And I didn't waste that ham! :)

(I also had a good laugh as my husband very tentatively ate them, asking me to promise him the ham wouldn't make him sick.) LOL

P.S. We were both FINE. :)

www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. I love cooking beans in my Instant Pot! So quick and easy!

    But yesterday when I was cooking beans for chili, I neglected to check the seal (always check the seal before you start!), and water/steam got everywhere...and shorted out my Pot! I got some advice from the Facebook group, and I think it might be okay. I'll know in a couple days.

    If it isn't okay, then I'll have to squeeze some cash out of the budget to replace it. I'm already going through withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Jan!! Are you talking about the clear-ish plastic seal around the inside of the lid? Or do you mean the steam vent?

      Delete
  2. Glad you salvaged the ham. I'm thinking I may be one of the last people on earth without an Insta Pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, do you have an old fashioned pressure cooker you could try?

      Delete
  3. I don't have a Instant Pot. I really don't know any recipes for one. What is a good resource for all things Instant Pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KDA, I have a few cookbooks, but I've found that when I want to make something, it's easiest just to Google it. :) I've also got a Pinterest board where I've been saving recipes for a while and will sometimes search there. I've most often made white chicken chili in my IP. I shared that recipe on here. I've made it many, many times! And I'm still not tired of it. :)

      Delete