Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Combating the weather with colorful food.

Rain, rain, go away.

I feel rather petulant.

Isn't that a great word?

Now, mind you, given the horribly destructive weather being experienced in so many parts of the country (and world), I don't feel right complaining, but love a duck, this rain is getting on my last nerve. It's been cloudy or rainy for a very long time (and is raining even as I type this)!

Anyway, rather than complain, I thought I'd give you something bright to eat.

Remember when I shared this "pizazzy" dish from my daugher?

My daughter messaged me this photo of her dinner with the comment that it was nothing extraordinary, but she thought it had some colorful pizzazz.



Close your eyes, Ruthy. It's kale - lightly roasted. And I do mean lightly. She puts it in the oven for a couple of minutes just to give it a little crisping.

There is also avocado and tomato.

The dear girl must have realized I haven't done much cooking lately, so she remembered to take pictures for me as she assembled it.

These got roasted together -

Yellow pepper, purple daikon radish, broccoli.


She tossed in some black beans and corn.

And by the time I came home, there was nothing left but an empty bowl.

Lately, I've been doing my own variation on this quite a bit. Mine has blanched kale, honey chicken, sunflower seeds, beets, and orange slices. Very colorful and fresh.

Do you ever find yourself craving a cheery looking dish when the weather is bleak?

 

4 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha!

    I do love a mixed green salad with fruit and nuts and chicken... I love chicken and fruit in a salad!!!!

    But the roasting part is brilliance! Yay for lovely daughter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salads are great! When we were in different states my husband was super proud that he bought a couple from Hy-Vee since he was living off a microwave. I'd like to hear more about the honey chicken in your salads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful salad, Mary Kate. But I do have one question. Isn't kale crispy enough as is? Love all those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful and colorful! I love the idea of lightly roasting the kale. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete