Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Chocolate Chip Cookies and Rodeo

Well, it's county fair time all across south central Texas. And that can only mean one thing.

Rodeo!

Where patriotism reigns.
Along with ropin',
Barrel racing,
Bronc and bull riding.
It's a tradition that's gone on for decades. And small town at its best.

But, boy, it'll work up an appetite and have your sweet tooth clamoring for something every bit as classic. And it doesn't get more classic than chocolate chip cookies.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening.
Add sugars...
And beat until well blended. 
Add eggs.
And, you guessed it, beat well. Until it looks like this.
With mixer on low, add flour, salt, soda and cinnamon a little at a time so as not to send flour flying everywhere. Once everything is incorporated, beat at medium to high speed for another minute.

Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if you're using them. I didn't, because there are some in my house who frown on nuts. Brats.
 Spoon onto ungreased baking sheet. I like to use a cookie scoop, like this.
I have a larger one I use when I'm making cupcakes. It helps keep everything nice and uniform. 
Bake 8-12 minutes, or until golden.
There's a reason these cookies are a classic. And they always get eaten.

Now it's your turn. Have you ever been to a rodeo? If so, what's your favorite event? And more important, what's your favorite cookie?

----------------------------------------------




Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

12 comments:

  1. I love chocolate chip cookies. They're so stinkin' good. And look at this rodeo! Love it!!!!

    And is having rodeo with county fairs a thing across the western states? I saw it in Idaho, too... and in Washington.

    It makes sense, right? To couple the two?

    We don't have rodeos here anymore and this Western-lovin' gal misses them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I think the rodeo/county fair thing is popular in many rural communities, wherever you have ranches. Many of the events spring from tasks that are actually done on those ranches, so it's only natural they would turn them into a competition. Of course, that would have been in the early years. Now many of these cowboys/cowgirls travel from one county fair to the next to compete. And we sure enjoy watching.

      Delete
  2. We went to all the rodeos at the Central states fair and we always catch at least one at the stock show! We don't go to nearly enough. I don't think anyone can complain about cookies either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, the one thing you can always count on at a rodeo is that they're always different. When animals are involved, you just never know what'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to many a rodeo in my younger days. Now I just send my cowboy husband to them with his friends. Our county fair here in Utah always has a rodeo. There's also a yearly rodeo in southern Idaho about 30 minutes away from us, and the famous Days of '47 Rodeo in Salt Lake City in July. This is definitely rodeo country around here.

    My favorite cookies are white chocolate macadamia and chocolate chip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo… White chocolate macadamia sounds divine, Winnie. You may have stirred up a craving.

      You've been to many a rodeo, then. What was your favorite event?

      Delete
    2. I don't know that I have a favorite event. They all take so much courage and skill.The barrel racing is fun to watch, because the women compete in it, and it's not as dangerous as some of the other events. My nephew used to compete in rodeos, but I don't think he does anymore.

      My husband grew up on a farm, so he learned to ride when he was tiny. He never did much with rodeo though, besides watching.

      Delete
    3. Winnie, to me it seems like barrel racing requires more skill. Not that the other events don't require skill, they do, but there's also a certain amount of luck. In barrel racing, you have horse and rider working together. But in, say, roping, you have an unpredictable steer to contend with. No matter what the event, though, it takes lots and lots of practice.

      Delete
  5. I've never been to a rodeo. I think it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, Mary Cate. You should join me sometime.

      Delete
  6. I somehow missed this yesterday! But it's probably for the best since I just started Weight Watchers. LOL They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got a couple cook books for them on a garage sale last weekend! I did the pay for thing before and spent a lot of time still starving! You will have to let me know how their new program works! Not sure I want to pay for it and I refuse to make 2 different meals so food has to be liked by my husband and myself.

      Delete