Wednesday, September 5, 2018

September Smoothies

While the rest of the world has gone MAD over pumpkin spice EVERYTHING, I'm sitting in my little corner of the city feasting on smoothies that include kale, blueberries and beets. It was 95+ here today and nothing about a hot latte appeals to me, but these drinks? Oh they are good!

When I mentioned these last week, some people were interested (although I'm sure a lot of you were not!) so I thought I'd share.

There's really not much to it - but I do have three variations:

The first was the very basic -
coconut water
kale (blanched and frozen)
frozen blueberries
a beet (that had been pre-roasted and chilled)

I put them all in my Vitamix and pushed it up to high. The result was a sweet, super healthy, refreshing drink.


I really thought I took photos of the process, but I couldn't find them. This is the final product.

2nd variation was all of the above with a good-sized handful of lightly salted almonds tossed in.
3rd variation had a scoop of hemp seeds instead of the almonds.


On Monday, when the temps were soaring, I tried a different one -
coconut water
salted almonds
an orange
kale


I was reusing a cup from my iced cappucino.


That was really good too!

I have to admit, this ice cream loving gal is totally hooked on these instead.

So confess - which appeals to you more - a September smoothie or a pumpkin spice latte (or anything else pumpkin spice - which appears to be limitless at the moment.)?





5 comments:

  1. I did not give in to the urge for pumpkin spice when in NYC last week... it was 100 degrees... and then 103.... and I stuck with iced macchiato.

    But when it cools off, I'll try one as long as it's no longer orange... whose idea was that, to color a drink orange? That was such a bummer.

    Smoothies look great, Cate... and you start back to school and teaching this week. Praying for you and for a great school year! I hope it's absolutely wonderful.

    And I loved spending a couple of days in the city... even with the heat. But sorry I missed seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really bummed to miss seeing you too. I was stuck in a 105 degree classroom so little wonder my brain wasn't working properly!

      Delete
  2. These look great! My blender is on the fritz and I am trying to justify buying a fancy one once and for all. As soon as I do that these will be on the list! First thing first though my husband decided to play violin again so that object goes above getting my new blender, but the day will come! We are working on being healthier here so these smoothies would make a great breakfast I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Cate, I have never had a pumpkin spice beverage, especially a latte, since I do not care for anything with even the slightest bit of coffee. That said, pumpkin is one of my favorite flavors and I can hardly wait until it feels more like fall soI can start baking all sorts of pumpkin stuff with all of those amazing spices that we think of this time of year.

    I have at least one smoothie every day, but mine is much different that yours since the emphasis is on protein. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, frozen strawberries, truvia, whey protein and collagen. Occasionally I'll make this little frappa thingie with almond milk, whey protein, truvia, ice and some 85% cocoa chocolate. I love the little bits of chocolate in that one.

    I'm still not sure about the beets. I may have to buy one and roast it just to see. Of course, I'll be the only one who will eat it. I do like pickled beets, though I'm sure that's not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do pumpkin lattes either...no coffee for me. I don't think I've had a pumpkin flavored beverage ever. I do love pumpkin bread and muffins and pie though. :-) Can I count one of those for breakfast? Likely not.

    The beet addition to your smoothie? Does it stain -- like give you a red mustache that you sport around town for the day? And does it stain your teeth? I remember doing a pioneer project with my daughter when she was in school and we dyed fabric using natural dyes. We used beets for red and even the shelties' roughs were pink for weeks after!

    ReplyDelete