Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Autumn Chicken with Apples and Sweet Potatoes

Since last Saturday was the autumn equinox, I decided I'd be seasonal and make a healthy fall meal.

Here we go.  It was DELICIOUS!

First I coated chicken breasts with my favorite herb mix.












Then I cubed (more or less) some sweet potatoes and dumped them on top of the chicken.




Next was some chopped vidalia onion.





I let it cook a bit, then added in a mix of Granny Smith and Gala apples. The Granny Smith gave it a nice tartness.






I sealed it all in foil and parchment and baked.  (Apology: my oven is so unpredictable that I can't really offer times or temps, but you're all experienced enough cooks to figure out what works in your oven.)




The final verdict - YUM!






But before I say goodbye to summer, I wanted to show these flowers that have been growing wild down the block from me. I just love them. They started out really tiny in the summer, but they've grown so now they're almost waist high!. They close up at night and open again in the morning.


You can see they spread across the sidewalk.
You can also see Fenway's head!

Photos don't quite do it justice.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers, Mary Cate! I love seeing those in the city.

    Thanks for the yummy recipe! I love Vidalia onions and sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done this yet this year, but now I will because you reminded me! What a wonderful mix, Cate! I might do this tonight with some leftover turkey..... Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a delicious meal! It also looks like it would be perfect for a counter top pressure cooker (aka Instant Pot).

    And that Bragg's seasoning is on my Amazon wish list. I can't wait to try it! But I already have a big container of Mrs. Dash that I want to use up first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy, Mary Cate. And very fallish. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the second person to mention adding apples into a savory dish. I'd never thought of doing that. I was talking to a lady at the grocery store who said she adds granny smith apples to her squash soup recipe! That would never have occurred to me!

    And I love those flowers. Nothing like a bit of greenery in the middle of the city to boost your spirits (as long as Fenway doesn't water on them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We add apples with pork all the time in our house!

      Delete
  6. I may not use sweet potatoes, buy carrots would go good! I agree with Jan this is something that could be done in the instant pot!

    ReplyDelete