Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Day AFTER Christmas

One of my favorite childhood Christmas memories is actually for the day after Christmas. I remember waking on a bright, sunny morning and looking at the stack of presents on my chair. I only remember one of them, and I cringe now to think how much I loved that mustard-colored sweater. But it must have been awfully special because that memory stuck with me for almost half a century.

I hope your Christmas was lovely and that you had or helped create memories that will stick with others for so long a time.

If you find time, amidst the post-Christmas bustle, to stop by and comment today, I hope you will share some of your favorite Christmas memories.

I'm sharing two of our memories from yesterday - you may notice a theme.

This little guy is our newest ornament, hung in memory of my husband.

Fenway's ready for Spring Training!


Love, Cate


12 comments:

  1. Hey, Fenway!!!!! Happy New Year, my friend! :)

    Oh, gosh, one of my favorite Christmas memories was of my niece being born on Christmas... her older brother had passed away at age six months and the entire family was heartbroken. Devastated. It was a brain bleed from a Herpes simplex infection that looked like a simple cold... until everything went horrible.

    11.5 months later, four weeks before she was due, his baby sister was born on Christmas. That tiny baby was a light in the darkness of grief and how special that she came to us on Christmas.

    I will never forget praying for them to have another baby soon... not to replace little Alan, but to give them joy and someone to hold.

    It was an amazing day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ruthy, thank you for sharing that story. It really is a perfect Christmas memory and a reminder to find joy amidst the sorrow.

      Delete
  2. What a clever variation of the snowman theme! And I see that Fenway has the baseball bug too.

    Ruthy's memory is beautiful and touching and makes me teary. Mine is much more....well, not teary. Whenever I think of Christmas memories I think of....wait for it...Trixie Belden. Santa brought me my first Trixie book -- The Gatehouse Mystery -- and I was hooked. I can still remember that giddy, just-found-me-a-new-series-I-love feeling. Just call me obsessed with books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute, Kav. I love book memories!

      Delete
    2. Trixie Belden is ALWAYS a good memory! Thanks for sharing the book love, Kav.

      Delete
  3. Some of my most special memories are of the years my dad made gifts for us by hand--a leather wallet, and spoon ring... Man, he loved Christmas!

    Mary Cate, I love that you hung an ornament in your husband's memory. What a wonderful way to honor him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy. We also had a candle in the window for him.

      Wow, that's so cool that your dad made those presents. I can see why they would be so special.

      Delete
  4. By the way, why did you get those gifts the day after Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't. They were Christmas presents, but I had stacked them on a chair in my bedroom, and they were the first thing I saw the next morning. Sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
  5. Love the snowman ornament, love Fenway... Nuf said. ;)

    ReplyDelete