Monday, December 17, 2018

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Back in October, when I heard that our local Cabela's was hiring part-time seasonal workers for Christmas, I thought it might be a fun way to make some extra money.

But I had no idea what I was getting into.

I was hired as a "Santa's Helper," which means that sometimes I take pictures. Sometimes I help parents navigate the finer points of easing a child through the first scary step toward approaching Santa. Sometimes I help a class of preschoolers patiently wait their turn. And sometimes I even get to be Mrs. Santa Claus!



I've learned how it feels to stand on my feet all day on cement floors (my body has adjusted), and I've also learned to remember to pack my lunch each morning.

But all of that doesn't come close to describing what this job is like. I really had no idea what I was getting into.

It's Christmas. It's Santa. It's children of all ages, from one week to ninety-nine years.

It's reindeer and fun crafts. It's dogs who love squeaky toys and teens who think they're "too old" to have their picture taken until we say, "Do it for your mom!"

Yes, a gratuitous Corgi picture!

No, I had no idea.

It's the big family groups who squeeze twelve or fifteen relatives of all ages into the picture because a photo with Santa is the best way to celebrate being together.

It's the Santa look-a-likes who spend a few minutes "talking shop."

It's grandparents bringing the little ones they're raising, trying to bring some semblance of normal into young lives that have known too much pain.

It's the couple celebrating their fifty-fifth anniversary, taking a photo with Santa to mark the occasion.

It's the misty look in a young mom's eyes as she watches her daughters greeting Santa like an old friend, reliving her own memories.



Really, I had no idea.

It's babies crying, toddlers with shining eyes doing a "high-five" with Santa, and pre-schoolers with their Christmas lists fisted in sweaty hands.

It's the girl with cerebral palsy who can't grin widely enough...and her patient brother who helps her sit on a chair next to the Big Guy.

It's Santa's gentle voice and smile that coax reluctant children to open their hearts.

It's the Down syndrome child who comes every Thursday with her dad to see Santa "just one more time."

It's princesses and Spider Man and Elsa and ballerinas and Air Force Captains, soldiers and reindeer and Paw Patrol pajamas, bow ties and vests and sparkly skirts and red velvet dresses, candy cane sticky mouths and favorite t-shirts, no matter how stained.

It's the look of wonder in a toddler's face when she gazes up at Santa. The Real Santa.

But most of all, it's scenes like this from a Cabela's store in the Dallas area:


The mission of Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops' Santa's Wonderland is to help families make memories during the Christmas season, and that's what we do.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I applied for this job, but I'm glad I did!

If you have a Santa's Wonderland near you, stop by and give Santa a hug. Better yet, have your picture taken with the Man in Red.

Make a few Christmas memories of your own.

I've had my picture taken with Santa several times this year! When is the last time you had your picture taken with Santa?





Jan Drexler lives in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota, where you can find her working as her alter-ego, a "Cabela's Elf-fitter," until December 24th. After Christmas, she will return to her full-time job of writing historical romances with Amish characters.

11 comments:

  1. Really, Jan... I had no idea!

    I don't remember ever having my picture taken with Santa, those I suppose I did. I do remember taking my children to the Macy's Santa's Workshop and waiting on long lines.

    What a fun thing you did - though OH! I feel your pain about the concrete floors.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, Cate! And even though I'm still aching from working yesterday, I'm looking forward to working this morning. Two kindergarten classes are coming! Smiles for everyone!

      Delete
  2. This is so wonderful.... think of the fun thoughts and ideas you come away with for stories! (Yes, I do manage to turn so many things into story ops!!!!!)

    I would love to see you elfing!

    So we were supposed to get a Bass Pro Shop a couple of years ago in Victor, about an hour from me. It was supposed to be a BIG one! So for Dave's retirement everyone got him gift cards and...

    No store.

    None.

    :(

    We are so sad! The town hasn't approved the concept and now it's all on hold and I was so psyched.

    But we wish we had one. Every time I see their commercials or a spot on Fox News, I am in love....

    And now I know an ELF!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, bring those gift certificates and come for a visit! There's a Bass Pro Shop 5 minutes from my house. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm voting with Katie! Split the cards 50/50 between Georgia and South Dakota!

      Or, to be fair, he can use the cards online, too... But that isn't as much fun!

      Delete
  3. Jan, what a wonderful post! I have such fun memories of going to visit Santa at the mall. And memories of taking my own kids (sometimes with tears, though).

    I saw that story of the Dallas store on Twitter (I think). So touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This job gob-smacks me every day.

      Yesterday, a girl who had come to visit Santa several times already brought him some cookies. Her mother said that Santa has done so much to lift her daughter's spirits that she wanted to give him something in return.

      Yup. Teary-eyed on a regular basis.

      Delete
  4. Ruthy I vote you come here! You can use those cards at Cabelas too! Just split them 50/50 between visiting us and Missy! Win win! Jacob forgot to tell me about this story. Once I said something he told me they were told about it. Christmas matic happening everywhere. Jan so glad you have gotten to play Mrs. Clause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas magic not matic whatever that means lol

      Delete
  5. Also look at Thatcher! Such a happy dog. 😍😍 He has been a good enough boy this year 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had so much fun visiting Santa and helping me shop that day!

      Delete