Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Gardens Aglow

Instead of a recipe today, I have some photos to share of a beautiful holiday sight.

Last weekend, my oldest daughter drove up to spend the weekend doing holiday things with my younger daughter in Maine. They visited a Christmas tree farm and cut down a tree, did some shopping, ate out a few times, but by far, the best thing they did was visit the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens.

You may remember that 2 summers ago I shared some photos from our trip there in July.
Being that it's Maine, the gardens formally close down at the end of October, but then they reopen in November 15 - December 31st for a light extravaganza called Gardens Aglow. From the website:

New England’s biggest and brightest light display, with over 650,000 lights!

I'll let the photos speak for themselves.























































The cold is pretty biting, so the bonfire was a popular attraction. The girls spent about an hour or so there before retreating home to warmth and a marathon of Christmas movies.

I love this new tradition.

Do you have any similar light displays near you?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love Christmas lights. Especially in mass, like they are here. There were several places in the DFW area that did large light displays, but I'm not aware of any out here in the country. Still, it is a beautiful site to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the stars out there in the country, Mindy. If you look at a map though, this place is really out there away from the cities. It's at the tip of a peninsula along the coast of Maine. I wonder how far away the glow of lights can be seen.

      Delete
  2. Amazing! I have a secret fascination for Maine and those pictures have me in even more of a tizzy. Most of the downtown core including the parliament buildings are lit up. We have a winter carnival after Christmas so most everything stays lit up for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I really like this idea of leaving things lit for a longer time in winter. If you think of it, winter is just beginning at Christmas. We need those lights to lift us through the cold, dark months to come.

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, that's beautiful!! Atlanta's Botanical Garden does something similar. My daughter and her boyfriend just went the other night and sent some photos that are similar. I would love to go!

    ReplyDelete