Friday, December 28, 2018

Sweet and Salty Make a Great Marriage

Missy Tippens

I know it's past Christmas and the making of holiday candy. But I still wanted to share what I made as gifts this year because I actually remembered to take photos. :) So maybe keep this in mind for the future!

My hair stylist recently mentioned how simple it was to dip large pretzel rods in chocolate. She had done them for gifts several times and said everyone loved them. So I decided I would try that this year.

I bought 4 packs each of white (vanilla) and chocolate bark (candy coating). Then I melted them in the slow cooker and Instant Pot (on slow cook setting).




I also added one box of Baker's German Chocolate to the chocolate batch.

Then, my daughter and I spent FOREVER dipping them! We also drizzled with the opposite chocolate and sprinkled with red and green sugar.




Once they'd hardened, we packaged them in plastic bags. We actually had a good bit of chocolate left over, so I broke up some pretzels, stirred them into the chocolate, then poured it out and swirled white chocolate on top. I also used some of of the white and topped with cashews and pretzel pieces.




Once these hardened, I broke them up into pieces. Lots of candy left for us to eat! I may try freezing some.

And yes, everyone seemed to enjoy the dipped pretzels! However, the project was very time consuming so I probably won't do it again for gifts. I may do Mindy's pumpkin bread next year.

Hope you all have a wonderful new year! Blessings in 2019!

www.missytippens.com


8 comments:

  1. I love dipped pretzels! I use the small knotted (heart-shaped) ones, and dip them with tongs....

    And they come out great and folks love them, but I love the idea of breaking up the pretzels and just making pretzel bark! GENIUS! I do that with other things, I never thought of it with pretzels, Missy. Thank you for a great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I started doing that with any chocolates I make. It's so much quicker than having to spoon out each piece!

      Delete
  2. You are a very wise woman, Missy. You put liners in your pots to make clean-up easier!

    I've made dipped pretzels before, and you're right about them being time consuming...but they are so delicious! I doubly appreciate it when I receive them as gifts. :-)

    Great idea for the pretzel bark! I often do that with broken candy canes, but never thought about pretzels. *filing the idea away for next year!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, they really are tasty. I was almost gleeful each time one broke and I was forced to eat it myself. ;)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE dark chocolate dipped pretzels. The idea to break them up into the chocolate for a bark was great! Going to keep that in mind. You can put them in the freezer and when you want one pull a piece out and it will last a little longer because you won't be able to eat it so fast from frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy, I wish I could send you picture. I got gifts (not homemade) of both of these this Christmas and I LOVED them - so I'm sure your recipients appreciated all the effort.

    I have become so addicted to chocolate covered pretzels this year, that I went out and bought stuff to make some for myself. But then a student gave me Harry & David's and they were really good - not too sweet and not too salty.

    My daughter brought me Trader Joe's holiday bark. It's a 4 piece set - one with almonds and coconut, one with cashews, one with just about everything you can think of - bits of oreo, popcorn nuts, etc., and one with just white chocolate swirled on top. It's VERY rich.

    I love Jan's idea of mixing in broken candy canes. One of my favorite cookies this year was the Pepperidge Farm Milano halves with chunks of candy cane on the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love a little mint with chocolate. So candy cane bits would be good in it!

      Delete