Thursday, December 6, 2018

Savory, Sweet & Salty Nuts!

Happy St. Nicholas Day! Did you put out your shoe???? :)

So today we're talking a nut recipe that I love, love, love.

I stumbled on this recipe over at All Recipes dot com when I was looking for something different and it had so many good reviews that I had to check it out.

I love nuts.

I love sweetened nuts. Honey-roasted...Glazed.... Nuts for Nuts in NYC is one of my favorite vendors in the financial district and she has her kiosk at the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway, right in front of the beautiful and historic Trinity Episcopal Church, a beautiful church founded in 1697...

With an antique graveyard right there, facing Broadway and the crazy of the financial district!

(And I'd made a bunch of videos with my old phone in that graveyard.... which all were lost when that phone died a really sad death!)

Anyway, I love to eat nuts. They don't have to be sweetened. I keep a monster-sized can of dry roasted peanuts on my counter... but I do love them sweetened, that mix of sweet and salty makes me happy....  But Savory, Sweet and Salty????  ORIGINAL RECIPE HERE

ALL THOSE REVIEWS! I bowed to peer pressure!

So this was easy.

I doubled the recipe and used a mix of peanuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews and almonds. Use whatever you like.

2 cups fresh walnut halves
1 cup fresh pecan halves
2 cups roasted, salted almonds
1 cup dry roasted, salted cashews
2 cups dry roasted peanuts

Line big roaster or broiler pan with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 350. If you have a convection oven that self-regulates, great... but if it doesn't regulate itself you might want to go to 325 degrees.

Mix nuts in big bowl. Drizzle seasoned syrup over them. Toss well, coating all nuts. Spread in single layer on aluminum foil.


Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir for about a minute.  Return to oven. Bake five minutes more. Stir nuts again, for about 3 or 4 minutes, letting the syrup "thicken" as it cools.


Don't cut this time short, this is what gives you the great coverage. Return to oven for about five more minutes. Remove from oven.... toss lightly as they cool.. now and again. Let cool, keep in airtight container. Great gifts.... Jars trimmed with ribbon or cute metal tins!

Here's the glaze mix:

2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked or fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
(Can add garlic or cayenne or a shot of hot sauce to the glaze mixture... All depends how much kick you want the nuts to have.)

Mix dry spices together. 

Bring to boil over medium high heat:

2/3 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar

Mix in dry spices. Drizzle over nuts.


This doesn't look impressive as you make it.... like buttery sugar water. But oh mylanta, when it's done, it's amazing!

I made this to give as little gifts.... a jar of nuts. A tin of nuts...

Except I KEEP EATING THEM!!!!

They get the Ruthy seal of approval! Don't they look marvelous? And they taste even better!



Multi-published, award-winning author Ruth Logan Herne loves the crazy fun of the Christmas season, but mostly she loves the grace of evening prayer, the quiet of a winter's day and the joy of being part of a big family who get along most of the time.... But not always, because what fun is there in that??? Find her at ruthloganherne.com, friend her on facebook and follow her on Bookbub at
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/ruth-logan-herne

4 comments:

  1. NUTS! Yum.

    And one of my favorite things about NYC is the aroma from those nut vendors. I used to buy the cinnamon glazed nuts from a vendor near my job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthy, I love nuts. Every time I walk into Cabela's, I'm sucked in by the aroma of their fresh glazed pecans. So I am definitely trying this recipe. Just to clarify, though, the seasoned sauce you refer to is the glaze, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a huge nut consumer...too many people in my life with nut allergies which has made me kinda paranoid but I do love the smell of roasting nuts...and salted cashews...yummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, maybe I can give these to the church staff this year! Thanks for sharing, Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete