Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Christmas Treats - Memories in the Making

Can you believe it? Christmas is only a week away! Actually, our Christmas is going to stretch that entire week. Our two boys will be here Christmas Eve and Day, daughters #1 and 3 will arrive the 27th with their families, and daughter #2 and her crew will join the madness on the 29th. Yes, now is the time for me to get my holiday baking on.

Perhaps I'll start with a little Spritz. (recipe here) Definitely a classic and oh, so easy to make. And if you want to change up the flavors, you can go with either almond or vanilla extract. Hmm...I wonder how they would taste with an orange or lemon flavor added? I just might have to do a little experimentation. 
Thumbprint Cookies (recipe here) are another classic. I just love the pecan coating.
And, of course, sugar cookies (recipe here).  
I can't tell you all the memories I have of decorating sugar cookies, both with my kids and when I was young. The most vivid one is of going to my great-aunt Gladys's when I was a little girl. She never married or had any children of her own, but every year she used to invite her nieces and nephews to her place to decorate Christmas cookies. She had a very small kitchen, though, and one year I bumped into my cousin, sending his plate of unadorned cookies careening toward the floor where they promptly broke.

Aunt Gladys, a retired school teacher, looked at me very matter-of-fact and said, "Mindy, you'll just have to share your cookies."

I can still feel my bottom lip quivering. I didn't want to share my cookies. I'd waited all year for those cookies. Sniff, sniff.

Of course, there was no arguing with Aunt Gladys, so Jeff went home with half of my cookies.

To this day, I can't tell you what those cookies tasted like. But I have such fond memories of decorating them. And isn't that what the holidays are all about. Sharing memories and making new ones.

In addition to cookies, we have the candies. Not really baking, but essential nonetheless.

Everything from Buckeyes, aka peanut butter balls (recipe here)...

 To Pretzel Turtles (recipe here)...
 As well as the ever-popular fudge (recipe here).
Just last week I told you the fond memories fudge holds for me, that it was the one thing my mom made every Christmas. 

Yes, making/eating these holiday treats/staples is like having cherished old friends visit. You love spending time with them, but by the time the holidays are over, you're glad to see them go. Mostly because you've overindulged and January marks a fresh start.

What treats will you be baking/making this week? Do you have memories that are wrapped around cherished holiday recipes? I'd love to hear them.

As I close out this post, I want to wish all a blessed holiday season. For some, this will be a challenging time as they face their first Christmas without a precious loved one. Even in our sorrow, may we keep our focus on the true meaning of Christmas. A baby born in a stable Who was and still is the hope of the world. 

Merry Christmas!


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 



4 comments:

  1. Mindy, thank you for the picture reminders and the links!!! I am making those thumbprints today, and they are a favorite of mine. I love 'em so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, funny you should mention those thumbprints. I was actually contemplating a variation of them last night. Instead of pecans, what if they were rolled in hazelnuts and then filled with Nutella? Thoughts?

      Delete
  2. Hi Mindy!

    I need you to send some of your cookies this way! Because of my Santa's Wonderland duties, I only have one afternoon to make Christmas treats this year. I know our waistlines will appreciate it, but I'll miss some of my favorites.

    I keep telling myself that they will taste all the better next year!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, just continue the celebration all week long. Then you won't feel deprived. And your waistlines will survive.

      Delete