Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Shortbread Snickerdoodles?

This is sort of a cheatin' post.

Back in early November, I was shopping in Whole Foods, and I saw these on the shelf.



I snatched them up right away, because I love shortbread and I love snickerdoodles.

They were SO delicious. But, alas, they sold out quickly.

As I was eating them, I had an idea. The shortbread reminded me very much of another cookie

One of our favorite Christmas cookies to bake when my children were growing up was Russian Tea Cakes.  I have had this cookbook since 1986 as you can tell by the condition.









The Shortbread cookies tasted very similar, and I figured that adding some cinnamon to the powdered sugar would mimic the snickerdoodle taste. Melt in your mouth delicious.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a verdict because my oven is on the fritz. But what do you think? Will this work?




4 comments:

  1. I don't see why not.....to me a snickerdoodle really is a form of sugar cookie with cinnamon sugar on them. I had a recipe for something else a long time ago that wasn't a snickerdoodle, but when all done it tasted just like that! Now I need to find that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Katie. I agree - the part of the snickerdoodle that I love is the cinnamon sugar - and from what I could tell eating that box of cookies - that's what they did. They added cinnamon to the confectioner's sugar. Seems like a smart idea.

      Hope you find your recipe.

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, I have that same cookbook and the Russian Teacakes are my favorite recipe in it. I've made them once this holiday season, for a party, but I need to make them again. They just kind of melt in your mouth, don't they? Gosh, they're good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have forgotten all about Russian Teacakes until seeing this. I used to make them for my family when I was a girl... my first baking excursions were Christmas cookies, Russian Teacakes and Lebkuchen for my father.... Oh, what a fun memory of a tender cookie!!!!

    ReplyDelete