Thursday, October 25, 2018

Winding Down on the Farm!

Pumpkin season is almost over....

The end is in sight!

I can tell because I was able to wash the bedding from two beds, top to bottom.

I was able to sweep floors.

I was able to spot wash the family room carpet.

And next week I will keep cleaning because when farm season walks in the door, cleanliness flies out the window. There are only so many things a body can do and no one pays us to clean so other than absolutely necessary tasks.... A lot gets put on hold.

So now it's kind of fun to do "spring cleaning" in the fall... and next week is window washing week. And more inside tweaking between writing times.  And I actually have my writing time back again.

Oh, saints be praised! Hallelujah chorus!!!! :)

I love clean windows. Clean windows are a must. I know why I love clean windows... because I grew up in a house where the windows were really dirty and smoke-crusted. There were no curtains. Some broken blinds...  And the windows were all dirty.

Now I don't expect it was that way when my Grandma Herne lived with us. Myrtle Swarthout Herne loved to garden...

So do I.

She loved to work outside.

Me, too.

And her windows were always clean!  But she moved out of our house when I was five, so I don't really remember the time with her there.

So did the love of clean windows get passed down from her? Or was it simply my reaction to growing up with really dirty windows, so now I like to keep them clean.

Washing windows is extremely satisfying.

Now, before you laugh, think about it. There is something very nice about greeting the change of seasons with clean windows. It makes the sunny days brighter and the gloomy days less foreboding.

A clean window is like a gift. Like a mirror of the soul. I've mentioned that in a couple of books, people liking their windows clean and that's totally me injecting myself into the plot...

This house is 164 years old. It isn't like a lot of old houses. It has LOTS of windows.

Now you would see that in village houses and city houses circa 1900 and on, but not so much in farmhouses because windows were expensive (and still are) and farms needed to invest in seeds. Equipment. Barns. Stock. Hired help.

Who had money for windows?  But as people have owned this house, they've made a few nice adjustments with each owner and each one added more windows. (I added twelve myself when we put the family room on.... so I'm just as much to blame!!!)

We have to replace some next year. A few years ago we replaced the three in the attic. Then we replaced all five of the basement windows....

And we added the family room with twelve windows.... I wanted the little ones to see the world around them without having to climb on anything. (I might have wanted to think about how CHILLY the west wind gets in winter. Ooops...)

On the second floor we have some very drafty windows that need TLC, plastic sheeting in winter, and maybe replacing if it's priced right... but each bedroom has four windows. Yep. Four. There is even a window in each closet. Trimmed in gorgeous oak.

WHO DOES THAT?????

The former owner. I could turn one of those closets into an office and still have a window! That's so New York, right????

Anyway, the point of all this is that I love clean windows and I don't mind cleaning them... because then when I start putting up Christmas swags and candles, everything just glows with sweetness....

I LOVE THAT SO MUCH!

So there you have it.

I love windows. I love cleaning windows. And I love getting that done before decorating because it makes everything look so very special.

Sparkling clean windows are like a light unto our souls....

I used a quote like that in "Running on Empty" and when Beth Jamison got to that, she was like... "Yup. That's Mom. Clean windows are a must."

I always figured if the windows are clean and a twenty minute pick up takes care of most of the mess, the house really isn't all that dirty. Is it?

Laughing, but you know it's true!  So here are a few farm pics from this week:

Great YMCA field trip yesterday. We did an easy-up tent because we have no barns... and it was sprinkling lightly and then "Misting" as we went to meet the donkeys and sing songs....


And they seem to have had a good time!







And our first BIG BUS school trip:



And a group shot on the front steps:



:)

Multi-published, award-winning author Ruth Logan Herne does seem to get odd enjoyment out of unlikely things like cleaning windows and taking care of donkeys, but we try to overlook that here at the cafe... where the windows are very, very clean! :)

You can find her website at ruthloganherne.com or friend her on facebook or follow Ruthy on Twitter.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Ruthy you make me giggle with the clean windows. We have a 4.5 yr old and a 3 yr old dog who are always looking out our windows placing their love prints waiting for someone to get home so I don't try that hard. Now let's talk about a clean kitchen sink! For me that is what gets exciting. Lol we are still trying to figure out how to fit 2 people into a 2 bedroom apartment. Someone has inherited his mother's love a books (not complaining could be worse) so along with the other things he likes to collect I have come to the conclusion I will forever be reorganizing. Plus who has time to organize in the Black Hills during the fall?! All the tourist are gone and the weather is perfect for hiking! Too bad we have to work. Otherwise we would be outside all the time! Maybe even on a farm like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so funny, Katie! I can see those dogs doing it! Jeter and Libby sit and gaze out but don't paw the windows, but then I'm home all day so what a difference that would make. :)

      We all have our things, don't we? I don't like cluttered tables, either. There's something nice about a clean table, ready for food or gathering or work. And a clean kitchen just begs me to BAKE SOMETHING!!!!

      Delete
    2. Mind you, not liking cluttered tables doesn't mean I don't ever have cluttered tables. #lifeisreal #peoplehappen #stuffgathers

      Delete
    3. LOL I was going to say I love clean tables too (and a clean sink), but you'd never know by looking at them.
      My windows have smudges from where Fenway watches the fire trucks (and the neighborhood dogs).

      Delete
    4. You know we wouldn't love these things as much if they were always perfect. We learn to accept the imperfections and sometimes learn to love them. It is just called living life. Can you imagine how sad we would be if we worried about every little thing?!

      Delete
  2. Ah, Ruthy. Clean windows. Yes. I am with you 100%, but I am sad because sparkling clean windows are not a possibility for me. I can get them relatively clean, but combine NYC streets (and air) with the fact that I live on the 3rd and 4th floors, and there is no way I can get the outside of the windows to sparkle. You're supposed to be able to remove them and clean the pieces, but these windows are old and the inserts actually fall out of their rubber grips when you try to remove them.

    I laud your efforts, because that bright, glaring winter sun is what always makes me notice the smudges and I generally want to wash them in January, and freezing temps are not good for cleaning windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those sweet little faces! And the winter coats? Already?

    Ruthy, I just cleaned windows this past weekend. Outsides of all of them, insides of most, but I still have a few to go. Even though the insides aren't near as dirty as the outsides. Except for the low windows with all the doggy nose smudges. It's such great feeling to look out of a clean window. So every spring and fall.

    And yay for more writing time, too. Readers want their Ruthy books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, doggie nose prints! We have lots of those. I've just about given up.

    More than windows, I need to clean the blinds!

    Ruthy, I'm glad the season is winding down. You deserve some peaceful writing time!

    ReplyDelete