Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Falling for Soup

Fall in Texas. You never really know what you're going to get. Just last week, we were in the 90s. Kids were hanging around in the backyard. 
Then the 80s arrived, making walks in the woods/pastures much more inviting. Recent rains made it easy to see signs of wildlife. There were deer tracks.
Wild hogs had been on the move.
As were racoons.
And the pastures are filled with goat weed and bitterweed. 
But now... Fall has arrived! It's goodbye 80s and 90s, hello 50s and 60s. And that means my cravings for soup can finally be fulfilled and thoroughly enjoyed.

Yes, I have literally been craving this Southwestern Chicken Soup for weeks.
But soup just isn't the same when it's hot outside. At least not for me. 

It was only January when I first shared this recipe, but since we haven't thought about soup in months, I thought it was worth sharing again.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 3 this time)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper 
  • 1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes (I used the petite diced)
  • 1 - 10 oz can Ro-tel diced tomatoes with green chilies (they have original, mild and spicier varieties; I use original, but it you want the flavor but not the spice, use the mild)
  • 3 cups chicken broth (I prefer the low-sodium variety)
  • 1 - 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1-2 cups frozen corn
Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a CrockPot or slow cooker.
Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
Add tomatoes, Ro-tel, chicken broth, black beans tomato paste, onion and bell pepper.
Stir, trying not to disturb the chicken.
Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
See, I told you it was easy. Now you have the rest of the day to knockout your to-do list.
Approximately and hour to an hour and a half before cooking is done, stir in the frozen corn.


You could add it at the beginning, if you prefer, but I like a little crunch to my corn.
When cooking time is up, remove chicken breasts and shred the meat.
Return meat to slow cooker, stir and serve.
Perfect for a cool fall day or a bone-chilling winter night.

Now it's your turn. What's cooking in your neck of the woods?


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

11 comments:

  1. This looks so good, Mindy! I love winter soups or fall soups or just any soups... and this is going to be added to my list here that began with Jan's soup yesterday!

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, the best part about this one is that it's a throw-and-go meal. Throw everything in the CrockPot, go about your business and then dinner's ready whenever you are.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good and so easy! What can be better?

    Don't you just love soup weather? I have ham and bean soup on the menu for tonight!

    What I can't believe is how many tracks you found and identified on your walk! I wouldn't have recognized the wild boar (I've never lived where they were around), but the other tracks make me smile. I can imagine those raccoons taking that muddy path...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, compare to the other tracks, the racoon tracks are just plain cute. Even their tracks have a playfulness to them, don't you think? No telling what mischief they were getting into.

      And yes, I love soup weather. I've already warned my family that we'll likely be having soup all week. Pulling out my favorite soup/stew recipes is like revisiting old friends.

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious! My family could eat soup every day of the year. We love it no matter what the temperature outside but during the fall it's especially nice. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I once had a boss who was just like you. Always had soup for lunch, even if it was 100 degrees and he'd been helping the guys in the warehouse. His claim was that it's never too hot for soup. Hope you and yours enjoy this one.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I have chicken for dinner but it's too late for the Crockpot. BUT I might be able to make it in my Instant Pot! Thanks for re-sharing, Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Missy. And if you do make it in the Instant Pot, let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  5. I have come to the conclusion that I am part of the few that think any weather is soup weather. Does soup in the crock keep me from eating out? That is the question I ask myself. With crazy work schedules I don't always have time to cook and even with my new instant pot I find it hard to come up with fast ideas. Don't get me wrong cooking a frozen solid pork loin roast in less then 2 hrs is AMAZING, but some days I just want to toss and go. Even on hot days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I have yet to do anything frozen in my Instant Pot. Just how does one calculate the cooking time on that?

      Delete
    2. A lot of recipes have a guide for frozen. I did chicken thighs one time too. My roast took longer because I had to put it back under pressure for a little bit, but it didn't take as long.

      Delete