Friday, October 12, 2018

Roasted Chick Peas (Kitchen Fail!)

Missy Tippens

This post is going to be short.

I heard about roasted chick peas (some of you may call them garbanzo beans) at a Weight Watchers meeting.

I made them how I thought they should be made.

They turned out a disappointment. :(

The end.

See--short story. I think it's called flash fiction. :)

Soooo... I wanted to share with y'all the RIGHT way to do this and went in search of a recipe (why didn't I do this beforehand?!).

I just found a recipe at The Kitchn by Emma Christensen that gives tips for doing it the right way.

For my fail: I opened the can of chick peas, rinsed them, tossed them on a cookie sheet with olive oil and salt, then roasted them for 20 minutes. They ended up chewy and not very tasty. I had been hoping for a nice crunchy snack!



In Emma's recipe, she says to dry the beans with towels or paper towels after rinsing them. Duh! That makes perfect sense. I think this was my biggest mistake.

She also recommends seasoning them after baking (if you're using anything beyond salt). And to make sure to use enough olive oil.

She said to bake them 20-30 minutes AND eat them hot. She even says if you let them cool, they'll get chewy. I think by the time I got the rest of dinner ready, the chick peas were cool. Plus, I didn't bake them long enough.

Now I know! I want to try to do this again. I'll have to let you know how my next attempt goes!

Coming Soon!


www.missytippens.com

2 comments:

  1. Or you could buy the ones that come in bags. :) My vegan daughter likes them.

    Thanks for sharing, Missy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I'll look for those! Thanks for mentioning it. :)

      Delete