Friday, October 19, 2018

In Keeping with the Soup Theme...

Missy Tippens

It is FINALLY cool enough in Georgia to eat soup! :) So yesterday, I made bean soup.

Talk about a low cost meal! About $3 for the beans, $3 for the smoked sausage, plus probably less than a dollar for the vegetables. I think the batch will probably make about 8-10 servings.

I used a bag of dried soup beans with 15 different varieties!

Sorry it came out sideways!

This particular mix was Cajun flavored and came with a seasoning packet.

On Wednesday night, I put the beans in my Dutch oven and soaked them all night. The next day, I poured off that water and added 8 cups of fresh water.

Then I simmered them for about 2 hours. Be sure to turn down the temp to very low to simmer in a Dutch oven. I had mine a little too high and the water boiled over (creating a starchy mess).

After the 2 hours, I put some olive oil in a skillet and sautéed a chopped onion, chopped garlic, two chopped carrots and a package of Butterball smoked turkey sausage (cut into bite sized pieces). Once everything started to caramelize a bit, I added it to the soup pot along with half of the seasoning packet (I didn't want it too spicy).

I simmered 30 more minutes or so until beans were tender. I was supposed to add some lemon juice but forgot. I did add a little salt to my bowl because I like beans to be salty. (According to my taste buds, there are just some things--like beef, potatoes and beans--that should be a little on the salty side!) :)


This turned out so good! Very healthy with all the fiber. As much as I love summer and warm weather, I have to admit it's nice to enjoy soup again. :)

11 comments:

  1. Missy, I think you have my pot. Don't you love it?

    This soup looks really good. Nice and hearty. I wonder how the lemon juice would have affected the taste. Sometimes it adds a freshness, but other times it can detract. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I always see them add a squeeze of lemon juice to soup on cooking shows--for brightness. I just never think of it. Maybe I'll add a few drops to my next bowl. I'll let you know!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and yes. I love the pot! I'm pretty sure it's Loge.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it's definitely a Lodge. I have least half a dozen of them in different colors. It may be a minor addiction.

      Delete
    4. LOL!!! Mindy, do go telling anyone you have a pot addiction. haha

      Delete
  2. The turkey in the soup sounds really good. Not sure about the seasoning theme for myself but I know another household member who would like it! Next time I do beans I am going to use my instant pot. I do not have the patience to do them the normal way. Not to mention the planning time. Soup is starting to sound real good for a weekend meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, you could always use half the packet. :) It's not spicy at all, just flavorful.

      I would normally use my Instant Pot, however I happened to think of it the night before (rare!). :)

      Delete
  3. Missy, this looks marvelous. I just got back here and realized I never finished this comment! I love bean soup... and I love it with ham and I bet I'd love this sausage version, too... And I'm always saving bits of ham to throw into soup and not making the soup.

    What is the matter with me????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ham in bean soup! I just had this turkey sausage needing to be eaten. :)

      Delete
  4. I love, love, love bean soup!!! We had some on Tuesday - just beans, some salt pork for flavoring, and chicken broth.

    I've started cooking my beans in the Instant Pot. Makes the whole process super easy and quick. (Up here at 3500 feet elevation, the beans take a LONG time to cook without the pressure cooker!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I've used my IP as well. So my poor Dutch oven gets neglected now. I decided to go old school this time. :)

      Delete