Friday, December 21, 2018

Fresh Cranberry Sauce in the Instant Pot

Missy Tippens

Back at Thanksgiving, I decided to make homemade cranberry sauce for the first time. I figured Christmas would be a good time to share it for those of you who do the whole turkey thing again (we don't).

When I decided to make it,  I figured I could do it quickly in my Instant Pot. That morning, I went looking online for recipes. I decided to use the one on the cranberry bag and to play with it using ideas I got from several other recipes I saw online specifically for Instant Pots. I also added my own touches.

Here's the base recipe I used on the bag of cranberries, from Naturipe.



Because I read that you need a cup of liquid in the IP, I doubled the recipe. It turned out that one small bag of cranberries is about 4 cups. So, my recipe...


4 cups fresh cranberries (washed and checked to discard bad ones)
1 cup apple juice
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar (I used Splenda Brown)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 to 1 Tbs crystalized ginger (I used Penzey's Ginger Bits)
The zest and juice of 1 orange (I didn't have any so used 2 clementines!)



Put it all in the Instant Pot and stir. Close and seal the lid, close the vent, and set it on manual, high, for 5 minutes. Let it vent naturally.

Aren't they pretty? I love to decorate with berries!


Once the pressure has released, turn the IP to sauté. Stir and smash what's left of the berries for about 5 minutes, until it's a good thickness. Then turn off and let it cool.


This was my tasting bowl while it was still a little warm. The thickness was perfect! I saved a jar in the fridge to use as jelly. It was sooo good! And I was proud of myself for making this homemade for the first time ever.

So easy! Do y'all eat turkey again at Christmas?

www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. We made our own cranberry sauce for the first time this year too! I used a pretty similar recipe, but I did not add sugar. For an extra touch I added some cinnamon. The leftover sauce got used for dog treats since I made a test batch too. The instant pot made it easy for my husband to help with as I was under the weswesweat over Thanksgiving so he has to do the actual work while I told him what to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that you tried it too! I was amazed at how good it tasted.

      Delete
  2. Missy, we have Christmas spread over several days, but turkey is on one menu when the crew arrives, per request from Texas Luke who wanted ham... but what is ham without turkey??? :)

    This sounds delicious. And I've yet to play with my Instant Pot. My goal is during my writing months of winter, me and the IP will get to know one another!!!!

    Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, y'all will laugh. I usually make beef at Christmas. And here in my post I said that we don't do turkey at Christmas. But we received a gift certificate to Honey Baked Ham, so I ordered a small ham and small turkey breast! So we'll be doing a slight repeat of Thanksgiving. :)

      Delete
  3. Missy, my girls and me are the only ones in the family who like cranberry sauce and we’re alll partial to the jellied variety from the can. I’ve sampled various others that folks have made, but have yet to find anything I really like. Perhaps it’s that we eat so little of it, that it’s not a big deal. Actually, I think it got forgotten in the fridge these last couple of years. Needless to say, it’s not a must-have for our family. I will say that the homemade varieties do make for a pretty presentation. Bits of orange peel against the dark cranberry color is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I've always preferred the canned jelly type until the last couple of years where I've served both canned types. This homemade version was sweet enough that I didn't mind the berries in it. I plan to make it every so often and store a jar to use as jelly (preserves or whatever you'd call it). It's so good on a peanut butter sandwich! :)

      Delete