Friday, December 14, 2018

Cauliflower and Mushroom Roast

Missy Tippens

I ran across this recipe in one of Martha Stewart's newsletters and promptly saved it to Pinterest. Then when we made plans to have some friends over, I went to find it. (Don't you love how Pinterest can store recipes for you?!)

Here's a link to the original recipe: click here.

Basically, you slice a head of cauliflower into steaks, brush with oil and roast partly.



Then you add a tray of oil-brushed mushrooms and roast separately. Then you flip the cauliflower, top with mushrooms, some cheese and breadcrumbs and finish roasting. I didn't bother with roasting the bread in the recipe. I just sprinkled on some breadcrumbs.

Be sure to slice thick enough so that the steaks don't break up like some of mine did!

I have to admit this dish ended up being over-done. An almost-kitchen-fail! (Another tip: Don't try new recipes when you have company.  haha)

I'd suggest not roasting for the whole time. My mushrooms were tough and dry. So play with it and watch carefully to make sure you don't overcook it.

Of course, I forgot to take photos of the finished product because our friends had arrived. But I will definitely make this again sometime! With a decrease in the roasting time. :)

www.missytippens.com

11 comments:

  1. This sounds great minus the mushrooms. Haha when I cook with them for flavor they get cut large enough to get taken out. I am the opposite when it comes to new good! For me company is the perfect time for something new or potlucks. At home I have more opinions on if the dish was good and at potlucks I don't have to admit what I made if it didn't turn out. I tried a new curry rice salad for my husbands potluck (management/leads feeds the rest of the employees) I had a couple people ask for the recipe even! Secret there it had stuff I would not eat so I sent it with him solely on his taste test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I love the not having to admit you made it. Haha. I can't even think of the last time I went to a potluck. Maybe decades ago???

      Delete
    2. Katie, I love that everyone loved your new recipe! It sounds really good.

      I had to smile about you picking out the mushrooms. My kids are starting to come around and eat mushrooms in some things. I'm relieved! haha

      Delete
    3. Mary Cate my husband and I both had one in a 4 day time span and I volunteered to make 2 things for mine like a crazy lady! I made it work though. Missy we like the flavor of mushrooms, but the texture is what gets us. That is why I cut them so big. We get the flavor without having to actually eat the musbroomu themselves.

      Delete
    4. Katie, that sounds like my husband with the texture of celery. haha

      Delete
  2. Missy! I hope your friends were kind. I tend to love things over-cooked so I probably would have loved this. I'm kind of curious about the flavor since both ingredients can have strong flavoring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I don't remember the flavors clashing at all. I think the roasting mellows the flavors. I was a little worried about the cheese being weird, but it was fine. I used gruyere.

      Delete
  3. Missy, I love me some cauliflower, especially roasted, and I love my mushrooms, so this would be a meal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy, this sounds wonderful.... I wonder if it could be done as a casserole? Wouldn't that be a fun thing to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, it might not get as caramelized as roasting, but I bet it would be good! And it wouldn't dry out like mine did. :)

      Delete