Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Crock Pot Lasagna

Do you love homemade lasagna but hate all the fuss of making it? Well, have I got a recipe for you. This has all the deliciousness of homemade lasagna, without the hassle. You don't even have to boil the noodles.
Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 - 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (I use turkey, but  you can use pork, if you prefer)
  • 28 oz of your favorite spaghetti or pasta sauce (I use a garlic herb variety)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 8 lasagna noodles
  • 1 4 oz jar/can mushrooms (optional)
  • 1 15 oz container part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 2 1/2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
Brown sweet Italian sausage in skillet and drain.
Set aside.

Mix spaghetti/pasta sauce and water.
Set aside.

If you want to make cleanup super easy, line 5 qt or larger Crock Pot with Crock Pot liner. Spray liner or bottom of crock lightly with cooking spray. Then line the bottom with 4 lasagna noodles. 
Since slow cookers are typically oval or round, you'll need to break a couple of the noodles and layer them creatively.

Top noodles with half of the Italian sausage.
 Half of the sauce mixture goes over that.
Half of your mushrooms, if using.
And 1 cup of the mozzarella.
Add Italian seasoning to the ricotta cheese.
 And stir until blended.
Spoon mixture over mozzarella.
Spread with back of spoon, trying not to disturb lower layers.
Add remaining noodles.
 Sausage.
Sauce and mushrooms.
And 1 cup of mozzarella.
Cover and cook on High for 1 hour, then reduce to Low and cook for an additional 5 hours.
Cheese will brown, beginning at the outer edges. So, 30 minutes to an hour before cooking is done, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over that and finish cooking.
This is the easiest homemade lasagna ever. And, except for browning the sausage, it's a one-pot wonder. The noodles are tender, but not overcooked and the sweet Italian sausage really elevates the flavor. Throw in a salad, maybe some garlic bread, and dinner is served. 

Well, can you believe that October is here? Before you know it, we'll be heading straight into the holiday season. But not before pausing to enjoy the sights, scents and flavors of fall. Even though it feels a little more like spring here on the coastal plains of Texas. As I'm typing, a thunderstorm is rumbling in the distance. And since temps are in the 80s instead of the 90s, that's just fine by me.

What's happening in your neck of the woods?


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

12 comments:

  1. Oh Mindy, it's just past 6 am and I'm hungry for lasagna. Seriously. That looks delicious. I've never actually made lasagna with sausage rather than beef, but I love sausage. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, the sausage really makes a difference in the flavor of the lasagna. SO much better, IMHO.

      Delete
  2. This is going in my "carry-in dishes for church dinners" file!

    Thank you!

    And in our neck of the woods, we're expecting 80° today. We had snow last week in the Hills, and we're expecting snow next week, but today it's summer.

    That's the way it is around here in October, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jan, at least the snow won't hang around when you follow it with 80 degrees. But I'm sure that'll change soon. Didn't y'all have a big blizzard one October?

      And this dish is perfect for carry-in dinners.

      Delete
  3. I love crock pot lasagna. My recipe is a little different, but pretty similar. My recipe doesn't call for nearly enough cheese so I usually end up adding twice the amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, as far as I'm concerned, you can never have enough cheese. ;)

      Delete
  4. This looks AMAZING!!! My stomach is now growling, and it's only 10:30 am! Gee thanks, Mindy.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY STARS. If you only knew how hungry I am and how many hours it will be until I get home and there is nothing like this waiting! Dagnabbit! Oh, Mindy, I have to try this. It looks marvelous!!!! And I forgot that it was doable, so I'm going to flag this and buy ricotta this week and have some fun! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, as busy as you are this time of year, a Crock Pot meal is perfect. Just don't overcook it.

      Delete
  6. Okay -- this might just be brilliant. I would never have thought about making lasagna in a crockpot. What a super clever idea! I just make soups and stews in mine.

    We're finally getting fall weather! I can put the fans away. Yaaaay!!! I even hauled the duvet out. Nothing like snuggling under a comfy duvet with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I would willingly embarrass myself for duvet weather.

      As for the lasagna, it doesn't make a massive batch, like enough to feed a small crowd. But you would have some leftovers. You could portion them up, wrap them in foil and put them in the freezer to enjoy later. However, what would you use in place of the meat? Do they make tofu Italian sausage?

      Delete