Thursday, May 30, 2019

This and That About Being Famous

That title isn't about me, darlings... I'm happy being plain old medium... But there's more about famous a little farther down.


Let's not talk about the rain.

Or the ongoing cold.

Cold, wet soil isn't user friendly for growing things, so if we talk about that, it's a sorry kind of conversation, my friends.  Or that Farmer Dave and I went out and bought him a new tractor with a brush hog, a six-foot tiller, major-league forks and a big bucket... what man wouldn't have fun with ALL THAT BIG-SIZED TONKA-STYLE STUFF????


One who's faced rain almost every single day since buying the tractor. And that brings us back to this: Timing is everything. :)

And how we should trust God's timing.

First, let's talk about James Holzhauer, the current Jeopardy phenom who's won over $2,000,000 dollars in 30 games...

WHAT????

Oh my stars, I can't help but root for him because he's making history.... No one has ever dominated the toughest game show of all like this guy has. Sure there have been great champions. Ken Jennings... Chuck... (Chuck was way back when you could only win FIVE DAYS....) Julia, Austin, etc...

But James is different. He's a gambler by profession, but also has nearly perfect command of the clicker that lets him answer and locks out the other players... and unlike most players, he's rarely wrong so he rarely loses money. It's quite the package.

It's fun to see "history" being made. I feel like that when I watch a baseball player like Mike Trout come to the big leagues... He's our current-day Babe Ruth. I felt like that with Derek Jeter, too... because he set the bar high for over twenty years on one team at one position... the rarity of the accomplishment made it sweeter.

And in football Patrick Mahomes and Baker Mayfield are ushering in a new era of possible greatness as some of our favorite quarterbacks seek retirement...

And my grandson invited me to be in his Fantasy Football League this fall.... EEK! I have no idea what I'm doing and the sweet lad is very, very, very intense about football... although he plays baseball. But we won't sweat the details and I'm sure someone will take pity on me and tell me what to do. I hope.

We made the first pasta salad of the season!!!


And the first kittens of the season! Honey Bunny White Socks gave birth to two little orange female babies seven days ago.... And she's such a good mama. And notice how handy this box from Sam's Club was/is for kittenland????


And there's another kitty mama in the birthing unit for later this week...

There is something really wonderful about new life in the spring, isn't there?

Flowers.... leaves....

Puddles.

Flooded fields.

Grass that's six inches high and growing.

But things will dry out eventually. They always do. The rule with farming is that a dry year will scare you...

A wet year will starve you.

And we realize that we've got good jobs, so if the whole farm is a loss this year, we've got food. Shelter. Enough money to pay the bills...

While folks in the central U.S. are under water and have been for nearly two months and record-breaking number of storms and tornadoes are inundating them as if being flooded wasn't enough--

Trust me. Being flooded is enough, it's more than enough, so instead of whining about what's not perfect here, I'm going to be praying for those who are worse off...

And eating apple cake that my friend Catherine brought me.... I have eaten 1/2 of the loaf.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME????

:)

Not a thing, because the apple nut bread is absolutely delicious and a half-loaf probably looks really good on me...

(hides face.... guilt mounts.)

I figured out a long time ago that the Serenity Prayer is my guide... God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference...

There's a reason they use this particular prayer for 12-step programs... because it really does help.

Coffee's on, friends!

Multi-published, bestselling inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne lives on a very wet pumpkin farm in Western New York. She loves God... He's like the Best Ever.... and she loves her family, her friends, her country, and is often seen with coffee and/or chocolate. In this case, it seems apple cake has usurped chocolate momentarily. You can find her on the web ruthloganherne.com, friend her on facebook at Ruth Logan Herne, follow her on Twitter (same name, go figure!) and/or email her at loganherne@gmail.com. She loves chatting with folks and that includes you!

10 comments:

  1. Ah, the Serenity Prayer. A very good reminder of the need to trust in the Lord. Years ago I read a wonderful book by then priest, Fr. Jonathan Morris. The entire book was devoted to explaining the Serenity Prayer step by step. It was so inspiring. I think I need to reread it.

    This rain has been relentless, she says as she contemplates yet another rainy morning, but here in the city, that only makes us appreciate the rare sunny days more. Our livelihoods, for the most part (outdoor construction guys apart) don't depend on it. Prayers for Farmer Dave and all the people suffering from flooding.

    PS - love the new truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Father Jonathan... and I may have told him that if he starts an American Catholic Church, I'll jump in to join his congregation. I think his heart was broken with revelations last year.... and how deeply they went. :(

      I've read his books, too.

      And that Serenity Prayer gets me through so much.

      Sortin' things out.

      Delete
  2. You make some good points! Our biggest complaint about rain is my husband's car was flooded out the other night when it was parked on the street! The good Lord was watching out for us when he told our IL insurance agent to add rental car coverage! I'm assuming that is why the agent did it. Saved us a lot of stress. So we are going to thank the good Lord we have a dry house! Pasta salad sounds good. I think I will put that on the menu this week. Would make a great leftover for a railroad man to eat on the road or in a hotel room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a great thought, Katie. Pasta salad keeps so well and is a great filler... and yes, I can totally see it being supper for your Jacob!

      Delete
  3. Pasta salad and kittens -- the perfect harbinger of warmth and sunshine to come! And apple cake sounds delish! Must hunt up a recipe and give it a try. Flooding was bad here as well -- so many lost everything and the clean up is ongoing. So many people volunteered for sandbagging but now they need them back to clean up the mess. The river still hasn't gone back down to it's 'norm'. Today is sunshiny and warmish though so I'm heading out to plant some nasturtiums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I should have put a link in the post, I've got it here on the blog and so does Missy.... and maybe more... Honestly, you can throw just about anything in, add cheeses and Italian dressing.... Kav, just toss in whatever you like!

      Delete
  4. Ooo, that pasta salad looks good, Ruthy. And those kittens... So sweet. However, that new tractor... There may be days when you don't see Farmer Dave at all. Trust me, I know these things. As they say, the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so true. That might be a bonus because men who are outside are not interrupting women writing stories inside.

    SO CLEVER!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new tractor! I do believe it matches your car! :)

    I, too, am praying for those in floods and terrible storms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are finally out of the rain cycle for now! But now the sunshine is obscured by heavy smoke from wildfires in Alberta. Oh, I wish we could redistribute some mid-west floods up to our Canadian neighbors!

    I'm a Jeopardy junkie...glued to the television for that half-hour every day that I can. James is a phenom, isn't he? It's amazing the facts that man can retrieve from his head!

    Pasta salad... it will be warm enough for it tomorrow. I'll have to make some for lunch!

    ReplyDelete