Thursday, May 16, 2019

Eclairs From the Farm!



I blame Beth.

She bought eclairs at Jackson's Bakery (a favorite hometown bakery in Greece, NY) and shared them with us last week...

And I remembered how much I love eclairs and cream puffs, and how amazing they are.

And.... honestly.... not so hard to make! You want to make the pudding first and chill it thoroughly, so here's the Vanilla Custard recipe (yes, you've seen this before, it's my go-to base for cream pies and cream puffs and custard filling for cakes! Why change greatness?

Vanilla Custard

4 tablespoons butter (melted in 3 quart pan)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
4 cups milk
4 egg yolks
4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Melt butter in 3 quart pan over low heat. Mix sugar and cornstarch together. Add to butter and stir to combine thoroughly. Stir in milk. Whisk sugar/butter mixture into milk.


Return to heat and raise temp to medium/medium high. Whisk in egg yolks one at a time, then cook to boiling. Remove from heat, add vanilla.

If you don't like "skin" on pudding, lay plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding. Chill thoroughly.

Now we're going to bake the eclairs. Eclairs are simply an elongated egg puff, so they're not hard at all...

Pastry shell (or Choux pastry)

1 cup water
1 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Bring water and butter to a boil until butter is melted.


Add salt. Stir in flour. Dough should "clean" sides of pan when thoroughly mixed.


Add in eggs, one at a time and mix in thoroughly with heavy spoon.


For cream puffs you spoon a generous glop (technical term!!!) onto baking sheet, making all mounds about the same size. For Eclairs, it's easiest if you use a pastry bag and you cut off the tip end to leave a 1" to 11/8" opening, and then pipe "tubes" of pastry onto the baking sheet. Egg puffs rise and spread, so leave space between each puff, on all sides.





Next time I'm going to make the opening in the pastry bag slightly bigger....

Here are the puffs part-way through:





Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes (depending on oven) until puffs are golden brown, puffed nicely and tender to touch.



Cool thoroughly.

When pudding is chilled and shells are cool, you can fill them in either of these ways:

Split the eclair, fill with pudding and then cover with sliced off top.

OR:

Using a wide circular tip, inject pudding up into eclair from top down from three evenly spaced spots along middle of eclair. This way your injections spots are covered by chocolate frosting.

When all eclairs are filled, trim with chocolate frosting:

HERSHEY'S PERFECT CHOCOLATE FROSTING

This is my go-to frosting I use for so many things. I always double it because it only makes a two-cup batch and two cups is about half as much as a Ruthy-cake needs... and chocolate frosting never goes to waste at our place!

1 stick butter
2/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk

Melt butter in 3 quart pan. When melted, stir in cocoa and salt. Add sugar and milk, then whisk in... Frosting thickens as it cools. Should be a nice spreadable consistency and if it's too thick, add a tiny bit of milk or water.

 Eclairs and cream puffs can be filled with chilled sweetened whipped cream, whipped to firm peaks, if preferred.

We love a selection of both!

And just for fun: The old Box Elder tree (and it's bugs and ants) is now down.... and the wood is being used for campfires and fun wood rounds for farm customers.... And there might be something interesting going on in the base of the tree if it ever stops raining! More on that later!



And Ms. Lena with a bow in her hair.... it lasted about five minutes, but I got pics while it was in there! :)






And then for Beth's birthday, I used the same pudding and frosting to create two Boston Cream Pies... her favorite...
So I scored points and made people happy.

And isn't that a nice thing to say about any old day?

'Til next week it's Ruthy, signing off!



Multi-published author Ruth Logan Herne lives on a crazy fun (or just crazy) pumpkin farm in Western New York where she has a couple of miniature donkeys, two dogs, three cats and occasional kittens, many bugs, more garter snakes than she would have thought possible, some random critter that was living the dream in her attic mid-winter and the occasional mouse. (Note to all, Ruthy does not now, nor does she ever intend to, make cute tiny mouse outfits for the small rodents that seem to find a way into her house on an annual basis. Mouse clothes are only cute in story books, and she will stand by that assessment. Find her on Facebook, visit her website ruthloganherne.com, e-mail her at loganherne@gmail.com or follow her on Twitter.



13 comments:

  1. I need to get brave and try these! They look so good!

    I'm glad you got to treat Beth for her birthday! What a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it helps that she lives close by.... Always easier than the long-distance birthday scenario, Missy!!!

      Delete
  2. Have I ever mentioned how much I love eclairs, Ruthy. Even as a kid, they were my favorite. So why have a I never made them? Probably because I would eat them all. So I need to make these when I have people around to eat them or I can take them somewhere. Yes, that's the ticket. I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I love Lena's bow. So cute!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I used to make mini cream puffs (these, only smaller) for every holiday and then got out of the habit... so I'm re-igniting the fire under the cream puff/eclair excitement. And you can pop the shells into freezer bags and freeze them for a few weeks... They thaw quickly and it works well. And the last few went home with Jon so when a friend stopped by I didn't even have one to give her!!! OOPS!!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I have not been able to find my recipe. I swear I saved it in my phone, but who knows! It's gone in this move along with a few items we have seen and then lost since I got here! I am finishing getting my garden boxes and will be planting next week. We are fighting the rain too! However God has a reason for giving us so much now and we just have to trust the process :) can't wait to see what goes in the tree base!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, stuff disappears whether in hard copy... or on the phone! Or I'll file something with my typical astute cleverness and have no idea what I named it...

      SIGH.

      The base of the tree will hold at least two fairy houses. :) That much I know. And the guys have said they can even off the trunks (level the tops) so I can put stacked pumpkin displays up there come September. We always had this tree as one of our "photo ops" with a rustic background (did you know if you leave things out to weather for a long time of snow, wind and rain and sun, you can make them rustic???? Big smile here!) so we wanted it tall enough to use for that... but it will throw suckers from the ground/roots (box elders love to do that) so I'll have to be discouraging that, big time....

      Delete
  4. Oh, eclairs!!! We used to have a bakery that made the absolute best (European style with cream filling) eclairs but when the owners finally retired (in their eighties!) some young upstarts bought the bakery and set about ruining every recipe by opting for cheaper alternatives to butter. They didn't last a year. I haven't had an eclair in ages...like...um...years now. No one else is making them up here I'll have to try my hand at pastry making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, you can make the shells and freeze them... and the filling can be straight custard (we prefer that because it's firmer and less messy when you bite into the eclair) or you can do a 50/50 mix of the custard as above with whipped cream (heavy cream lightly sweetened and then whipped until it forms stiff peeks) Or some places fill them with straight whipped cream and dust with powdered sugar or the chocolate frosting. So many fun variations!

      Delete
  5. Oh -- and is Boston Cream Pie a white cake with the custard filling and chocolate topping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I forgot to put the picture in! Yes, this one is with yellow cake (that's the traditional way here, but white works fine, too. And one bakery has a chocolate version) and it's Beth's favorite.

      Delete
  6. Save one for me! I'll be right there! LOL Maybe it's a good thing I don't live next to you! I'd smell all the great things baking and have to run over to see how Ruthy's doing. Let me rephrase that--I'd have to waddle over to see how Ruthy's doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahah! It's good we live 1/2 a continent away from one another, LOL! But isn't it fun to share ideas and thoughts and recipes? Winnie if you ever have a recipe you want to share with us, give me a shout! We love company in the cafe!

      Delete