Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Cupcake Craving

I blame Ruthy for this cupcake craving. Though, maybe instead of casting blame, I should thank her. You see, it was because of Ruthy I went to the Magnolia Market Silos and the Silos Baking Company where I walked away with a series of cupcakes sure to thrill my taste buds. 
The one that is conspicuously missing from this photo, though, is the strawberry cupcake. Because I was so fixated on sampling that particular one that I completely forgot to take any pictures until after I'd eaten it.

At any rate, I've been thinking about strawberry cupcakes ever since. One that actually had some strawberry flavor to it, like the one from the Silos, not some watered-down strawberry flavor. So I've been pondering and exploring recipes, some of which are rather involved. Except I wasn't in the mood for involved, I wanted easy. And I wanted that moist-yet-fluffy texture I get from box mixes. 

Finally, I knew what I wanted to do. So, armed with a Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme cake mix and a bottle of strawberry extract, I set to work.
I mixed the cake batter according to the recipe on the box then sampled it to see if it had that strawberry flavor I could actually taste. It did not. So I added a few drops of the strawberry extract. Still not right. I added some more for a grand total of about 12 drops and decided that was good. I might even increase it to 15 next time.

Bake the cupcakes/cake according to package directions. Actually, I usually set my timer for about 2 minutes less that the lowest time they suggest on the box. Why? Because I don't like dry cupcakes. If they're not done, I set the time for another 2 minutes and check them again. As soon as the tops bounce back when lightly tapped with your finger, they're ready.

Remove pans from oven, then transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack. If you're making it in cake form, follow the cooling directions on the box.

While the cupcakes are cooling, it's time to make my strawberry frosting. I started with my classic buttercream frosting recipe.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
  • 1-2 tablespoons milk
  •  2-3 teaspoons Strawberry extract (traditional uses 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Place the softened butter into a bowl and beat with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Turn mixer to low and add half of the confectioners sugar a little at a time, allowing to mix thoroughly. Add 1 tablespoon of milk and mix well before adding the rest of the sugar in increments. Once all of the sugar has been incorporated, add 2 teaspoons strawberry extract and beat well. Sample to test strawberry flavor and add more, if desired. Tint frosting with small amount of red food coloring or gel paste, if you like. If frosting is to thick for spreading or piping, add additional tablespoon of milk. 

Frost completely cooled cupcakes with a  knife, or place frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes. 
Did I achieve the desired results? 

Yes. The cupcakes were moist and fluffy and the strawberry flavor was perfect. And that made my taste buds very happy. 

Now it's your turn. What was the last thing you determined to recreate or improve upon at home?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

13 comments:

  1. It looks like you were able to recreate the looks of the cupcake as well as the taste! Congratulations! They look yummy!

    I often try "copycat" recipes from restaurants - mostly soups. Like Panera's creamy wild rice/chicken soup, or Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana.

    (And believe me, on a cold rainy day like we have today, either of those sounds delicious!)

    I'll have to try your strawberry cupcakes for our next church carry-in. I'll be able to enjoy one (and only one!) that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jan, the thought of having all those cupcakes sitting around the house just waiting to be eaten is far too tempting. Sure wish I could enjoy some soup now. I'm afraid I will have to wait until October. :(

      Delete
  2. Oh, I must try these! I wonder if using strawberry juice in place of water would be fun, too? I did that for the cherry cake I did for "Back in the Saddle"... that way if we don't have strawberry extract, we can still have fun with strawberry cupcakes. Mindy, I'm so glad you came up with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The juice might work, too, Ruthy. Actually, it would be interesting to compare the flavor of the two. No juice for the frosting, though. I don't see that working out well at all.

      Delete
    2. My strawberry cake recipe calls for a box of chopped frozen strawberries with the juice. So it's worth a try!

      Delete
    3. I actually contemplated pureeing some strawberries I had and adding that to the cake, but since I had the extract for the frosting, I wanted to see what kind of results that would bring.

      Delete
  3. Drooling!!!! How do you frost the cupcakes so perfectly? Mine always look like at five year-old did them!

    I haven't used a cake mix in...honestly....decades? Had no idea they had a strawberry one now. I love all things strawberry so I'm definitely tempted to try this. I've never seen strawberry extract though. Likely to have to go to a specialty store for that but once I find it I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, all it takes to frost them like that is a piping bag or even a zip-top bag with the tip/corner cut off. Then simply squeeze the frosting through there and swirl it onto the cupcakes. It takes a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it.

      And the strawberry extract should be easy enough to find, it's just that you've never looked for it before. I found it near the vanilla, almond and all the other extracts at my little store in town, so you shouldn't have any problem.

      Delete
    2. OOohhh -- I have never tried piping on frosting -- I smear it on in glops with a knife. :-) I checked my grocery store today -- nix on the strawberry cake mix and the strawberry extract! Going to check a bulk food store that has a lot of cake stuff. Maybe I'll find it there.

      Delete
  4. Okay, you seriously have me wanting strawberry cupcakes.
    Thanks A LOT, Miss Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindy, these look AMAZING!! I, too, love cake mixes. And I almost always under-bake them so they don't dry out.

    However, I've never noticed strawberry extract before! Must remedy that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I seem to have better results with the fingertip tap test than with the toothpick. I think you'd agree that there's nothing worse than a dry cake.

      Delete