Wednesday, May 29, 2019

A Few of My Favorite Things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens....

I found myself humming that the other day, not because I was thinking of Maria, but because I had just bought crumb buns.

There is a connection here. Just please bear with me.

I bought the crumb buns from a bakery near work. I know they are not healthy (by any stretch of the imagination!), but I needed a guilty pleasure.

And that got me to thinking - what are some of the things we eat, that we know we shouldn't, but sometimes we just give in because life is short and we should be able to enjoy treats in moderation.

*Note that word moderation. It is not really a word in my working vocabulary.

Since the crumb buns made me hum about my favorite things, I started to think of a few others, and realized they all are favorites because of memories attached to them.

The crumb buns - well aside from just being delicious - remind me of my grandmother who loved them. They were a treat we often shared together - especially the summer my sister worked in a German bakery.

Honeysuckle - I saw this bush the other day and it brought back a funny memory. I had a new friend who moved in next door when I was in kindergarten. One day, we were playing before our class (kindergarten was half day back then and we had the afternoon class). Terry introduced me to the pleasure of sucking on honeysuckle flowers.

Ours were actually white, but I saw these in my neighborhood.

My mother did not find it a pleasure. She said we would be poisoned and made me drink a quart of milk and eat a loaf of bread - I guess to "dilute the poison."  I never see a honeysuckle bush that I don't think of this.

Is it an act of defiance that my favorite soap is Meyer's Honeysuckle?


Lilacs - Another mom story and another threat of poison. This time not from eating them, but because I cut some and put them in a milk glass on the breakfast table. She said I was g oing to poison the family.
Fast forward - my husband always bought them for me for Mother's Day - even though the first time he messed up and bought purple statice by mistake. It became a family joke.  This year, my daughter bought them for me in his stead.

This bush may not look like anything special, but they caught me by the nose. The scent was just heavenly!




And just because I love them - no reason - I saw this rose. Earlier in the day it was just at the point of perfection, but after hours in the hot sun, it had gone a little past bloom. That's okay. I can identify.






And since I started with roses and  kittens, here are two shots of my daughter's cuddly one.






Sorry, no photo of the crumb buns. I ate them before I took one.

So, what are some of your favorite things?


13 comments:

  1. What are crumb buns? Are they a bun with a crumbly streusel topping? Now I need to know!!!!!

    And I hear you about point-of-bloom, LOL! But sometimes the vintage roses are the very best, darling! :) We are the heirloom flowers in the garden of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like thinking of myself as an heirloom. Thank you, Ruthy, dear.

      Delete
  2. I went hunting.... and they look delicious. I love any kind of cinnamon roll concoction, Cate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! Here I was thinking you had given me an excuse to go buy another so I could take a photo.

      Do you have Entenmenn's cakes up there? Their crumb cake is sort of like a crumb bun but with many fewer toppings.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Dave's store has Entenmann's and we all like their stuff, especially when it gets too hot to bake our own. That crumbly stuff is so good!!!

      Delete
  3. I had to go looking for crumb buns, too. They look and sound like the streusel coffee cake I grew up with. And that thought brings back memories!

    Hmm...my favorite things...there are so many! But I have to agree with everything on your post! Roses, kittens, lilacs. Which reminds me: our lilacs are blooming and I need to cut some to bring inside. I love that fragrance, and we'll be leaving these bushes behind when we move this summer.

    I believe in savoring our favorite things when we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe I stumped the Cafe bakers here. I guess I'll have to bake some crumb buns for a future post. Although the bakery does it SO well!

      Delete
    2. Oh do cut some, Jan. But don't put them in a milk glass!!! ;)

      Is it possible to plant them by your new home?

      Delete
    3. I love lilacs..... the scent is heavenly. And I've killed both lilac bushes by putting them in bad spots and then forgetting to put a safety wall around them about the size of the Great Wall of China because I am married to a man with a chain saw. :) End of story.

      Delete
  4. Mary Cate, I can't tell you how loudly I just laughed over the poison and having to eat bread and drink milk! I ate so much honeysuckle nectar in my life that I should have perished by now. :) :)

    I love your favorite things! I really miss lilac bushes. I don't guess they do well in Georgia because I never see them. We would see them occasionally in Kentucky and they were my favorite flower. So sweet that your daughter bought you some this year as a wonderful reminder of the many your husband bought you. And what a great sense of humor he must've had to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I still remember every moment of that debacle. It's a wonder I was left with any spirit at all. I do wonder if Terry's mother thought she had been poisoned. I don't recall that part.

      Oh, a place without lilacs. :( But Meyer's lilac soap is a pretty close scent.

      Delete
  5. Whoops -- I had to google crumb buns to see what they were and time got away from me. Do you know how many variations of crumb buns there are? I want to sample every one!!!

    Sigh, lilac bushes -- not in bloom here yet. Everything seems to be about 2-3 weeks late. Our tulips are blooming all over the place and the forget-me-nots are out but we're still waiting on a lot of things.

    Love your favourite things memories. I think I love gardens because of a crazy wild out of control garden I used to sneak into when I was a kid. An old mansion property at the end of my street. The city had grown up all around it but this grand stately home and HUGE garden -- honestly it was the size of two tennis courts and soccer field (I know because that's what they replaced it with...grrr). Anyway -- I used to sneak into the garden and pretend it was my very own Secret Garden for two glorious summers until they tore it all down. :-( I've had the gardening bug ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I was thinking it sounded like The Secret Garden. I'm so intrigued. And so sad they tore it down. I keep thinking of the song lyrics, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

      Delete