Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Simple Things

Well, the news broke last week, but in case you missed it...

I GET TO EAT REAL FOOD AGAIN!!!!!!

Yes, it really is those simple things in life that make us happiest. Like a baby's giggle, getting a cart at Walmart that doesn't have a gimpy wheel and being able to eat something besides soft foods. 

So what did I have for my first meal? 

I don't remember. 

Well, not completely true. I remember one aspect of it. 
Something I hadn't been able to eat in nearly two months.

SALAD!

Oh, yes it was so deliciously crunchy.

And the pizza I was craving?

That didn't happen until this weekend. But let me tell you, it was the BEST pizza I've ever tasted.

I think one of the things I've enjoyed most is being able to eat vegetables again. Sure I could have cooked them until they were mushy, but why? I mean, that's like eating baby food. Talk about yucko. 

But now, veggies are front and center.
One of my favorite summer salads is avocado-tomato salad. It's deliciously quick and simple.

This is pretty much all you need, along with some olive oil, salt and pepper.

So first, we need to cut up our avocado. The easiest way to do that is to cut it in half and remove the seed.

The cut each half in half. If it's a large avocado, cut each half in thirds.

Now peel off the skin.
Yep, just peel that baby back.

And cut cubes into a bowl.

Now cut up your tomatoes and add them.

Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and lemon or lime juice (this helps prevent the avocados from turning brown, and brown avocados rank right up there wish mushy vegetables), then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and toss together.


Heaven in a bowl.
Not to mention a meal in itself if you're me. Makes a great lunch.

Now while this recipe is super easy, I can make it even easier.
After cutting up your avocado and tomato, drizzle in some Italian dressing, toss and you're done. 
You could even add some fresh basil.
Either way, you can't go wrong.
So good, so refreshing.

So simple.

What are some simple things you'd miss if you had to do without?



9 comments:

  1. Ooooooh!!!!! That is simple and sounds yummy. My problem is that because I live alone I'd have too many leftovers. I don't think the avocado would make a happy leftover though. I'll have to wait for a pot luck or barbecue. What a great, easy salad to make.

    Simple things I'd miss doing without? As in recipes? I don't have anything as simple as this one. I'd miss store bought hummus. When I'm too lazy to make a salad I like to eat veggies and dip instead. And sherbet. Can that be considered simple? Open freezer, take out container, dig in. And eating fresh strawberries au naturel -- no baking in a pie or concocting a shortcake. Just sweet, juicy strawberries. Oh and watermelon -- does it get any simpler than that? Can you tell we're in the middle of a nasty humidy heat wave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, this is perfect for one. Just use a small avocado. However, you are correct--leftover avocados never do well.

      A humidity heat wave, huh. So which do you prefer, that or the on-going winter you had this year?

      Haven't had me any watermelon this year, but I've been lovin' me some strawberries. YUM! :)

      Delete
  2. That salad is so easy! And it looks delicious :)

    Apologies to Kav, but I'd miss beef. This is our second year of having a freezer full of grass-fed beef, and I am so spoiled! My favorite quick lunch? Steak on the grill.

    Now that's super spoiled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I missed beef SO much. But would you believe I still haven't had steak. Will have to remedy that real soon. Like you, I think it's the perfect quick meal.

      Delete
  3. most of my stuff is simple and I'd miss it all! especially fruit!
    I like avocado and pico de gallo together- esp on top of a chicken quesadilla! now I'm hungry...
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE avocado and pico, Susanna. Such and easy guacamole. All I need is a good tortilla to go with it.

      Now we're both hungry. :)

      Delete
  4. Garbanzo beans. Love em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd miss Garbanzo beans? Seriously? Tina, Tina, Tina... I love you, but that's just wrong.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh, yeah, add that basil! Sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete