Friday, September 27, 2013

Hooked on Eggplant!

Missy, here. And I'm hooked on eggplant. Ever since I tried making the recipe Sandra LeeSmith shared on here (click here), I've been playing with eggplant and trying it cooked in different ways.

This spring/summer, my son planted his first garden at his rental home. When he came home for a visit, he brought me his first eggplant! I felt honored he shared. :) (Okay, so he probably had no idea what to do with it!) LOL


I just happened to have another eggplant (thankfully, because his wasn't very large).


We needed a quick dinner, so I chopped my eggplant and sliced his. Then I sautéed it in a pan in olive oil and garlic.


Eggplant can really absorb the oil! So you sometimes have to add a bit. But I buy a wonderful, fruity olive oil that adds great flavor.

Once it was tender, I served over spaghetti noodles and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

A yummy and quick vegetarian dinner!


11 comments:

  1. I've never been sure of what to do with eggplant either- my friend grew some this year and gave me one like your son's - think she said it was chinese eggplant. I've always done the dip in egg then bread crumbs then cook with spaghetti sauce and cheese IF they make it that far! this sounds pretty good..what's a fruity olive oil?

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to be responding so late! Susanna, I like a really flavorful extra virgin olive oil. I just had to try a lot of different brands to find the ones I like best. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is simple. I've never cooked eggplant -- had it out at restaurants, but never quite knew what to do with it at home. Now I know. :-) Making a grocery list now and I think eggplant might just find its way onto the list. Thanks Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it, Kav! Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  3. Did you have to soak it in salt water first? Now why do I always hear that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never soaked it. But I have heard of that. I think mine just soaks up olove oil instead. LOL

      Delete
  4. Kav, the vegetarian, has never had eggplant??? I thought that was a veggie special!! all my vegetarian friends cook eggplant in everything. Good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say,Virginia? I'm a late bloomer. :-)

      Delete
    2. I was surprised too, Virginia. Now she may end up hooked like I am! :)

      Delete
  5. Well I love eggplant as well. Parmagiana!!! Must try this, Missy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina this is for when you don't have time for Parmesan. No breading and frying and baking involved (although that's my fav!)

      Delete