Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Cheesy, Yummy Goodness!!!

Autumn is here! Of course, I live in Texas, so that means temps are in the 80's. However, the story I'm working on takes place in the winter, so that can really wreck havoc with a cook's mind.

I know this seems to be a theme lately, but there's not a whole lotta cookin' goin' on. However, that doesn't mean we can't eat well (sometimes too well). I'm hooked on revisions right now, but my family is begging for food. Namely meat and potatoes (you know the scenario). And since I'm a people pleaser, well, I aim to please. In the easiest way possible.

Beef stew. Hey, it's in my winter story. It sounded good. (You can find the quick and easy recipe here) But what kind of twist could I have with it?

Yes! Red Lobster Cheesy Biscuits!

Quick. Easy. Yep, it fit the bill just fine.

So here we go. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees (it takes a while).

You're going to need:
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 2/3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
  • dash or two of onion powder
  • couple dashes of dried parsley


Combine Bisquick and shredded cheese.
(In the words of Virginia, you don't really need this, but we like the pix)
 
Add the milk and stir until combined.
Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheet. My cookie scoop worked perfect.
 
Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine butter with garlic salt/powder, onion powder, and parsley.
 
 
Remove biscuits from oven.
 
Brush with butter mixture while still hot. (They'll sizzle)
 
Serve warm (although, let's face it, they're yummy any time).
 
These were the perfect compliment to the stew. Yes, they got rave reviews. AND, they were super easy. The whole meal was.
 
We definitely like that.
 
So has fall arrived in your neck of the woods? What are you cooking?
 
 
 
 
 
 


16 comments:

  1. Love this! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TEX!!!! I was looking at the Red Lobster mix at Sam's for these and I stopped myself (imagine a BIG GINORMOUS STOP SIGN COMING UP IN FRONT OF ME!!!) because my bootie is not in need of such carb-happy goodness, but if the Good Lord in heaven above sees fit to put the RECIPE FOR SUCH right smack-dab in front of me, then clearly I am meant to make these... and indulge!!!! SO PSYCHED !!!! I'm making these today for the after school crowd because the teens eat A LOT OF FOOD. I am not kidding, for a bunch of skinny girls, they pack it in! Which is good, but I bet they'd love warm cheesy biscuits from the oven! Tomorrow they have a half-day so I'm doing fried dough. I'm salivating, thinking of it!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was meant to be, Ruthy. The good thing is that these are so good, there are rarely leftovers. So if the kids do their job, you won't have to worry because there won't be any left for you. :)

      I sure wish I had your willpower. Or that I had the metabolism of a teenager. Wouldn't that be nice?

      Delete
    2. I ate three.... THREE. And I dipped them in the leftover butter besides. The kids went crazy for them, especially the older ones who've been to Red Lobster. Tomorrow: Fried dough. And can I resist one of fall's great treats? Fried dough with Zarpentine's fresh apple cider?????

      Delete
  3. Oh, yay! I've always wanted a recipe for these! We love them. I'll definitely do this! But I need to buy more Bisquick...

    Thanks, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Missy, after poo-pooing Bisquick for many years, I have come back around to it. Perhaps it was because I grew up on Bisquick biscuits and shortcake. Still don't care for those, but Bisquick is so versatile, it's now a pantry staple.

      Delete
  4. Would you believe I've never used Bisquick before? I think I just might have to give it a try...replacing the beef stew with sweet potato anc chick pea stew instead. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must try it, Kav. Like I just told Missy, it's very versatile. And the sweet potato and chick pea stew sounds yummy. You must share the recipe.

      Delete
    2. And Kav, don't count the carbs but my daughter-in-law Lacey came up with using a Bear Creek cheese and broccoli soup mix, thinning it down and dropping biscuit topping on the top, then baking... you have a delicious cheesy/vegetable/biscuit pie. Amazing!!!

      Delete
  5. I've actually made these before - once! they looked awful but tasted good - Bisquick is the bomb...just wish I could make stuff from scratch-scratch and have it look purty! now I"m craving cheese biscuits - my latest I bought Mary B's frozen ones and baked then sprinkled with shredded cheddar - maybe I can pour garlic butter on top befor baking next time! :-)
    I think the temps might be in the 80s but the humidity is still HIGH here near Houston :-(

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I know all about that humidity, Susanna. I think we actually had another front come through over night. It didn't drop the temps any, but it brought in some drier air. Always a plus.

      And you know, I bet brushing those biscuits with the garlic butter after they come out of the oven would do the trick. :)

      Delete
  6. forgot - bisquick is also the bomb for those sausage cheese balls! :-)
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigosh!!!! Yes, yes, YES! I love those things, but rarely think about making them any other time but the holidays.

      Well, thanks a lot Susanna. Now I'm craving sausage balls. Looks like I may not be waiting for the holidays after all. :D

      Delete
    2. I know - Bisquick is for the holidays it seems! that's usually the only time we made them too.
      Susanna

      Delete
    3. Ruthy runs and makes note to buy fresh sausage for sausage cheese balls!!!! :)

      Delete